• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Butt

Started by TNRockyraccoon, December 30, 2013, 02:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRockyraccoon

We're hosting a new years eve party tomorrow and im smoking a 13lb butt. I'm guessing I will need to divide it onto to two racks.

I plan on rubbing with mustard, brown sugar and a dry rub. I'm going to put it on the smoker tonight.

Here's where I need help.

I have a BA611 4 RACK. 

What temperature should I try to cook at?

How much smoke?

General idea of how long they will need to cook?

How often should the racks?

What about changing out water?

Once the desired IT is reached, how long should it be rested before I pull it?

I will serve half of it plain with sauce on the side and the rest will go into crock pot with sauce. Any tips here?

I appreciate any help. I. Hoping to get it on the smoker by 10pm this evening.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

UncleAl

The experts will be along soon. But to get you started cook at 225 until Internal Temperature of 190. 3 hours of smoke

GusRobin

I would start it earlier than 10. I did a 8 lb butt last week at 225* and it took about 20 hrs. You can always FTC it for 4 hrs or so if it is done early.

As far as overnight cooking, with an 8 lb I start at about 8 pm, 4 hours of smoke. After the smoke is done I change the water and make sure the bottom of the "V" in the "V" tray is clear. I go to bed and wake up at about 7 am and change the water again. (The first time it is full of pucks, the second time it is full of a lot of grease.

On the last one, I put it in at 8 pm; when I went to bed at midnight the IT was about 140, when I woke up at 7 am it was about 160. At noon it was about 169-170. It was done around 4 pm at 195. So I had a very long stall.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Wildcat

Smoke for 4 hours, cook at a cabinet temp of 200 to 225 F. Change water as mentioned by GusRobin. After cook is over if it is near time to serve, place on counter loosely covered with foil and let it rest until cool enough to handle. If it will be awhile before serving then FTC for up to 4 or 5 hours. This will probably take you 18 to 30 hours. It will take a long time to get the cabinet temp up. Once the meat temp rises the cabinet temp will increase. Have patience and do not rush it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TNRockyraccoon

I took GusRobin's advice and started it in a preheated smoker at 8pm.

Gave it three and a half hours of smoke and am about to change out the water pan.

Currently, the IT of the larger, and lower racked piece is 153.

The cabinet temperature hovered around 225 for most of the first hour, then started pushing into 230 - 235. I dialed it down a little and now it's around 215.

I'm hoping I can remove the spent pucks and replace with a 9"X13" pan of water without losing too much heat.

Thanks for the advice and tips. I can't wait till tomorrow evening.

GusRobin

Quote from: TNRockyraccoon on December 30, 2013, 08:53:57 PM
I took GusRobin's advice and started it in a preheated smoker at 8pm.

Gave it three and a half hours of smoke and am about to change out the water pan.

Currently, the IT of the larger, and lower racked piece is 153.

The cabinet temperature hovered around 225 for most of the first hour, then started pushing into 230 - 235. I dialed it down a little and now it's around 215.

I'm hoping I can remove the spent pucks and replace with a 9"X13" pan of water without losing too much heat.

Thanks for the advice and tips. I can't wait till tomorrow evening.

Sometimes the IT is wrong because you hit a fat pocket. So I move the probe a couple times to make sure I am getting a true reading.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

TNRockyraccoon

Woke up this morning with an IT on the low rack of 185. I'm guessing your right again GusRobin. No way 12 hours was enough to finish off the butt. The smoker cabinet temperature ran about 215 - 220 all night.

I rotated the top and bottom rack this morning and switched the meat probe to the former upper rack butt.

The new bottom rack butt IT is 154. So it seems to be right on schedule with everyones recommendations.

UncleAl

Glad to hear it is going so well on taste of that pork butt and you will be hooked for life.  ;D ;D ;D

TNRockyraccoon

Both pieces came to temperature of 190 after 20 hours. They were wrapped and coolered just after this picture was taken. Going to tear into them in an hour or so.

I hate to admit it but I picked my rack mat clean and that was delicious!

Thanks for all your help folks.

Saber 4

Looks like you did a bang up job on the butt

GusRobin

Looks great - now you will never want to go out for BBQ pork.

UncleAl

Looks really good, another one of us hooked for life.

TNRockyraccoon

They were perfect and just right to shred when I unwrapped them.

My new meat claws worked perfectly to get the pork ready for a bun.

We ended up with an entire pan of pork without sauce.

And my favorite.....an entire crock pot filled with half the pork and some of my Carolina Vinegar sauce to soak in.

This butt turned out to be phenomenal. The pork got rave reviews and everyone loved it. We brought in the new year right......and have about 5lbs leftover.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out on new years eve. Your advice made a world of difference in this butt and my two previous attempts.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712