Smoked Chex Mix, AGAIN

Started by seemore, December 30, 2013, 05:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Hello. My name is Seemore, and I am a Chexaholic.
I have to admit I am ADDICTED to this snack!!!   :-[
I made my third batch on Saturday, and I plan to make another batch on New Years Day to take to a friend's house.
Every batch is just as good as the last.  Thanks, Saber, for getting me HOOKED on this!  :o
seemore

UncleAl

Your not alone I too must admit that I am a Chexaholic  ;D ;D ;D

Saber 4

I have to admit that I am a Chexaholic also, I am going to make up a couple of batches this week for us to have around the house.

ragweed

Me too.  Thanks Robert for reminding me what chex mix was like when I was a kid.  So much better than the store bought stuff these days.

BTW...does anybody else use a large spoon instead of just fingers?  Much more efficient.

TedEbear

Looks pretty good but I don't see any Cheerios.  The multi grain Cheerios really soak up the smoke flavor.   ;)

wkahler

How long do you smoke it for?  Do you just put it on a cookie sheet and smoke or is there more it then that?
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

Saber 4

Quote from: wkahler on December 31, 2013, 04:16:57 AM
How long do you smoke it for?  Do you just put it on a cookie sheet and smoke or is there more it then that?

Here is the link to the recipe I came up with from the original Chex Mix, feel free to adjust to your taste or experiment with other flavors like so many have, just post your changes so others can try them also. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=33284.msg393683#msg393683

wkahler

Ok we have bagged chex mix i am going try it and see how it does tonight!!

seemore

Quote from: wkahler on December 31, 2013, 04:16:57 AM
Saber has you covered on the recipe.  We did not put them on cookie sheets;  we put them on our bradley racks with the mesh screens and wrapped the edges of the racks with aluminum foil so that the mix did not fall out
Quote from: TedEbear on December 30, 2013, 07:21:26 PM
Looks pretty good but I don't see any Cheerios.  The multi grain Cheerios really soak up the smoke flavor.   ;)

Sorry, but I am not a fan of Cheerios, and I did not want them in my Chex mix.  :( 
seemore

Saber 4

Quote from: wkahler on December 31, 2013, 03:07:55 PM
Ok we have bagged chex mix i am going try it and see how it does tonight!!

That will get you hooked, then you'll be mixing up your own before long ;)

wkahler

Smoked it for 2.5 hours with my cheese and it tasted like an ash tray??  Do i have to let it sit like cheese?

Saber 4

Quote from: wkahler on December 31, 2013, 06:00:17 PM
Smoked it for 2.5 hours with my cheese and it tasted like an ash tray??  Do i have to let it sit like cheese?

What wood did you use, I use apple or pecan and I have never had it taste bad out of the smoker, it does get better after a week or two in a Ziploc bag but it should be good right out of the smoker. did you use the plain original chex mix bag or one of the flavored ones? I tried a couple of the flavored ones and they did taste horrible and got thrown out.

wkahler

I used apple and the only thing i can think is i had the vent on the smoker half open.  I use a Traeger and was using my amazen smoker to cold smoke some cheese and tossed in a small batch of this.  Maybe since i didn't do a full batch?  It was just bagged party mix from Aldi

Saber 4

I can't imagine that doing it in the traeger with the amazen smoker should cause a problem, but I don't have any experience with the traeger and vent openings I keep my Bradley vent open all the way though. Maybe some of the guy's with traeger's can point us in the right direction with this, of course it could be the Aldi mix also, I noticed a big difference between the walmart brand chex type cereal and the real chex.

seemore

Pellets put off more smoke let rest two weeks should be better
Seemore