Salmon round two

Started by tailfeathers, January 03, 2014, 06:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

Trying this again, got some higher quality fish to start with this go round. Brining now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Salmonsmoker

Tailfeathers,
Sockeye fillets are thinner than Chinook or Coho. The flesh also has less internal moisture than the other two. Watch your smoking time so that they don't get too dry on you. That's an expensive fish to toss out.  :(   SS
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tailfeathers

Salmonsmoker-
Thanks for the heads up. I've done lots of smoking in the past but am only now starting to branch out into salmon, cured meats, etc so I'm kinda feeling my way as I go on some of this stuff. The input I get from these forums is invaluable! Thanks again.

STLstyle

Glad to see some wild salmon make the trip inland a bit!  Send some my way I don't see any here!

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

tailfeathers

Can't get much further inland than Sioux Falls SD!!!

Saber 4

Can I say I'm jealous???? I bet that's going to be great.

tailfeathers

Quick question for you salmon smokers out there. I got my fish out of the brine and on racks over night to form a pellicle. I have it in the garage, right now the temp in the unheated part of the garage is @42F. If anything it will get cooler overnight, but is that a safe temp or should I put it in the fridge at 36F? I don't think it will set a very good pellicle at that cool a temp but I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I don't want to spoil my fish either. Thanks in advance for any advice.

tailfeathers

Oops meant to include this:

Salmonsmoker

I'd put it in the fridge overnight. Your fish looks dry enough, so a pellicle will form easily. I think at ambient air temp. it may be too dry by morning. Better a little damp than too dry.

tailfeathers

Gotta love these forums! Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks SS!

tailfeathers

Yikes! I just got home from a meeting and went to check on my fish. Had the pid set for 1.5 @ 110, 2.5 @ 135, 1.5 @ 175. I was 45 minutes into the second step, but the pid showed 178F. I'm thinking, what the? I had put six maple pucks in the SG before I left but was in a hurry and neglected to add water to the bowl so four of the pucks were smoldering in the bowl, raising the temp in the cabinet. I hope the combination of too high a temp to soon and unextinguished pucks don't ruin my salmon! Seems ok at this point and no boogers yet.

Salmonsmoker

tf,
Your fish cuts are relatively narrow, so the white coagulated proteins/albamins aren't as much a problem because you have more surface area for moisture escape. The "boogers" affect the visual presentation more than anything else. I cut my fillets into 4 pieces which are larger than yours, so it's more of an issue.

tailfeathers

It turned out great, WAY better than the pink salmon I did the first time. I was sure kicking myself when I got home and discovered my bonehead mistake , thank goodness I wasn't gone any longer than I was.