CHE-Z Question

Started by BigRich, January 06, 2014, 02:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutcho

Just found some from 11/12 its provolone though and Im not sure what to use it on....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

ragweed

Heck, just eat it!!  That's the way we eat most of the provolone I smoke.  Oh, and my wife added some to a meat loaf on a whim and it was fantastic.   :) :)

Saber 4

Makes great ham and cheese sandwiches and grilled cheese, melts on a bacon burger real nicely also.

BigRich

Just opened the parm.  I think it needed to go longer because it had an extremely strong smokey/ashy flavor.  We cut the outside to get to the middle and it was much better.

TedEbear

Quote from: BigRich on February 08, 2014, 09:16:17 AM
Just opened the parm.  I think it needed to go longer because it had an extremely strong smokey/ashy flavor.  We cut the outside to get to the middle and it was much better.

How long had it been vac sealed?

BigRich

TedEbear

Hmm...that's over a month.  I would think that it should have settled down by now.  Our first experience with cold smoking cheese was 2:15 with hickory pellets.  After a month vac sealed it tasted pretty good.  My wife suggested an even longer smoke time for a stronger flavor with our second batch, so this last time I went with cherry pellets and smoking for 3 hours.  I still have about a week to go before the month is up.

sage03

I have done it with apple/maple and have let it go as long as 3 hrs. We like
it a little smokier/stronger. Normally it's not much past 2 hrs. You just have to experiment a little. Some cheeses accept or taste a bit better with more smoke...IMHO.

Fireguy06

Ok so after you vac seal the cheese where do most of you store them for the next month
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill

TedEbear

Quote from: Fireguy06 on February 08, 2014, 02:34:49 PM
Ok so after you vac seal the cheese where do most of you store them for the next month

In the bin inside the fridge.  I use a marker to write the date on the packages of when I sealed them.

Fireguy06

Thanks didn't know if fridge or freezer
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill

tailfeathers

I date the packages and put them in the basement fridge. The people who lived here before us put a full kitchen in the basement so it's handy for me. Got an extra full size fridge/freezer downstairs for all the goodies from the smoker. Now if I could only negotiate stairways!! So far SWMBO is nice about bringing whatever I ask her to up from downstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Others may have a different opinion but I don't like to freeze cheese unless it's grated cheese or will be grated when used. To me it seems like cheese gets really crumbly when you try to slice it after being frozen.

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Snoopy

i agree, i wont freeze again, it crumbles when trying to cut cracker size pieces

Saber 4

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 08, 2014, 05:48:25 PM
I date the packages and put them in the basement fridge. The people who lived here before us put a full kitchen in the basement so it's handy for me. Got an extra full size fridge/freezer downstairs for all the goodies from the smoker. Now if I could only negotiate stairways!! So far SWMBO is nice about bringing whatever I ask her to up from downstairs.

You could always build a homemade elevator like a friend of mine did using an electric winch and some steel tracking. ;)