CHE-Z Question

Started by BigRich, January 06, 2014, 02:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRich

Just opened the mozzarella.  It still has a strong ash flavor and the outside is unedible.  I'm starting to wonder if I did something wrong and if all of it is gonna suck.

pokermeister

On the mozzarella, just reseal it and wait a while longer. My mozz. has always been ready after 4-5 weeks. I have tasted at 26 and 27 days, and still had the ash taste, but was starting to convert. I have never had cheese that was not ready after 5 weeks. I use almost all oak for smoking cheese. Also, this has not been answered, but always leave the vent open.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

BigRich

January 7th is when I smoked it. It's been 7.5 weeks.

Saber 4

Quote from: BigRich on February 27, 2014, 04:12:22 PM
Just opened the mozzarella.  It still has a strong ash flavor and the outside is unedible.  I'm starting to wonder if I did something wrong and if all of it is gonna suck.

Hopefully it doesn't all suck, I went back through and re-read everything you posted on this and I'm wondering if leaving it in the smoker to bloom added more smoke flavor from the residual smoke hanging around in there? I bloom mine on the kitchen counter and haven't had to strong a smoke flavor after 2 hours of pecan or apple. I didn't see anything on whether you closed your vent some during the smoke, this could have added to the harshness or it could be that you guy's just like less smoke on your cheese than others do. Just a few thoughts I had, maybe someone else has some other ideas.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Saber 4 on February 28, 2014, 07:44:41 AM
Quote from: BigRich on February 27, 2014, 04:12:22 PM

Hopefully it doesn't all suck, I went back through and re-read everything you posted on this and I'm wondering if leaving it in the smoker to bloom added more smoke flavor from the residual smoke hanging around in there? I bloom mine on the kitchen counter and haven't had to strong a smoke flavor after 2 hours of pecan or apple. I didn't see anything on whether you closed your vent some during the smoke, this could have added to the harshness or it could be that you guy's just like less smoke on your cheese than others do. Just a few thoughts I had, maybe someone else has some other ideas.
I bloom my cheese in the smoker without "side effects". I don't think residual smoke in the cabinet remains long enough to have an effect especially if the vent is open. Saber might be right about your "comfort zone" of smokiness.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

BigRich

I'm fairly certain the vent was open.  Unfortunately the taste is definitely that of ash and not smoke. 

BigRich

Just tried the cheddar.  It wasn't good.  I definitely messed something up.  I'll have to try it again sometime and be more careful.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: BigRich on March 16, 2014, 04:31:18 PM
Just tried the cheddar.  It wasn't good.  I definitely messed something up.  I'll have to try it again sometime and be more careful.

Rich, before you toss it out, try adding the cheese to some of your meal recipes that call it and see if "spreading" out the smoke concentration will make it palatable, or even turn some of the dishes "exquisite". I smoke  an Asagio cheese that might be concidered strong. In Italian recipes it makes them memorable.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.