CHE-Z Question

Started by BigRich, January 06, 2014, 02:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRich

What temp should I smoke the cheese at?  I've read not hotter than 75 but couldn't find what the minimum temperature is.

Second, can someone give me an idea of what the ambient temp range should be while smoking also please.

The temp here in FL is supposed to drop tonight and I already have the cheese so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have a DBS with original element.

devo

I like a temp of around 70-80. It will soften up the cheese just enough to give the cheese a nice rich brown colour. I have done cheese colder but the final appearance was not the same.

tailfeathers

I think you can go to around 90F in the tower without worrying about it. Any warmer than that I put a half gallon milk carton of ice in the V tray to keep from melting my cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

ragweed

X2 on what Devo and Tailfeathers said.  As to ambient, it doesn't matter.  As long as you can keep the tower from going over 100*F.  That said, it's a lot easier to do that when the outside temps are cool.  So, now is prime cheese smokin' time.  In fact, I had to turn on the heating element the other day to get the temp up to 80*F!! 

hutcho

I have a couple frozen 2 liters I use to keep temp down.   Depending on cheese I have had some melt at 90ish....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

tailfeathers

I assume that the softer the cheese the lower the temp at which it will melt. I've only done Gouda, cojack and various types of cheddar so I haven't had any problem with melting ( yet). I'm finding that I like the really super sharp white cheddars best.

hutcho

Those are my favorite as well.  Or pepper jack always goes ovwe well at my house.  The melt problem I had was velvetta for an attempt at something that should just be left alone (think smoked cheese dip).

tailfeathers

There's a little dairy near here (Dimock Dairy) that makes a ghost pepper cheese that is the bomb when smoked. I have an extreme tolerance for hot food (my wife maintains that I killed my taste buds) but that stuff even brings tears to MY eyes.

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on January 06, 2014, 04:24:48 PM
X2 on what Devo and Tailfeathers said.  As to ambient, it doesn't matter.  As long as you can keep the tower from going over 100*F.  That said, it's a lot easier to do that when the outside temps are cool.  So, now is prime cheese smokin' time.  In fact, I had to turn on the heating element the other day to get the temp up to 80*F!!

I agree with what these guys say.

Quote from: hutcho on January 06, 2014, 05:08:52 PM
Those are my favorite as well.  Or pepper jack always goes ovwe well at my house.  The melt problem I had was velvetta for an attempt at something that should just be left alone (think smoked cheese dip).

I used my AMZN-PS to do Velveeta and kept the temp under 75 and it made the most amazing Rotel's and Velveeta cheese dip for Christmas, it didn't last long and everyone want's me to make more.

hutcho

I did mine before I realized it needed to age.  And before I realized hickory is a bjy much.  So needless to say 2hrs of hickory straight to the bowl ended up like an ash tray.   I am gonna try again with less time, pecan or apple, and let it rest this time.  Got the itch to try sausage so may be a bit longer now lol

BigRich

Can I close the vent to keep the temp down?

Secondly, can I put a tray of ice on a rack?  I'm think it may block the smoke.

BigRich

I put a tray of ice on the bottom rack.  My BDS temp probe reads 74.  In the middle if the smoker, my remote probe reads 87.  Should I go for it or add another tray of ice?

tailfeathers

I think you'll be ok. If it creeps past 90 I'd consider more ice

tailfeathers

Your just using the SG , right? Element is off?

BigRich

Yes.  I added another tray and put in the cheese.  The box reads 70 and the remote probe reads 77 an hour into it.