String Cheese

Started by ragweed, January 15, 2014, 06:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

Christmas and deer hunting took their toll on my supply of sliced American.  When I was at the store picking up the brick of American slices, I noticed the string cheese.  Thought my wife would like some smoked so I picked up a package.  I'm sure someone on here has done this, but it's a first for me.
Ready for the Bradley.  It took a while to unwrap 'em all!

After two hours of apple smoke.  Threw in some provolone, parmesan and marble cheddar to fill up the racks.

A breezy, cloudy day with temps in the teens forced me to use the cabinet element to reach my target temp of 85* F late in the smoke, but the cheese still took on some pretty good color.  We'll see if it's worth doing again after a 4 week wait.   :-\ :-\

Saber 4

Looks like the string cheese took on some nice color Joe, I've thought about doing that but the thought of unwrapping all those individual packages has stopped me so far, May have to rethink it after your monthly report.

smokindw

Hi ragweed im new here just trying to do as much research as possible before I start my long adventure into the smoking world! But I was wondering what your using on the bottom of your trays. Me and the wife love string cheese and I would love to hear how they came out! Thanks

Tenpoint5

String cheese is ready in about a week. Least that's all the longer mine seems to be able to wait until it gets devoured!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ragweed

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 16, 2014, 12:20:53 AM
String cheese is ready in about a week. Least that's all the longer mine seems to be able to wait until it gets devoured!

Thanks, Chris.  I was wondering.  Thought I'd let Miss Cindy try it sooner since I made it for her.  ;) ;)

ragweed

Quote from: smokindw on January 15, 2014, 10:41:56 PM
Hi ragweed im new here just trying to do as much research as possible before I start my long adventure into the smoking world! But I was wondering what your using on the bottom of your trays. Me and the wife love string cheese and I would love to hear how they came out! Thanks

They're called frog mats.  Non-stick.  I got them at Yardandpool. 

http://www.yardandpool.com/grilling-smoking/bbq-accessories/grill-racks-baskets-kabobs?p=3

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  Lots of good folks here, very willing to help. 

watchdog56

When I do string cheese it takes about 5 weeks to get good.  Tried after 3 weeks and still tasted like an ash tray. I only do 2 hours of smoke.

ragweed

Interesting.  Quite different from what 10.5 said.  Unless.....he was just trying to get me to taste it early.  Now that I think about it, he's done that before.  I've been waiting 4 wks on my other cheese.  Well, I won't have to worry, because since it's for the wife, she gets to try it first.

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on January 16, 2014, 09:35:17 AM
Interesting.  Quite different from what 10.5 said.  Unless.....he was just trying to get me to taste it early.  Now that I think about it, he's done that before.  I've been waiting 4 wks on my other cheese.  Well, I won't have to worry, because since it's for the wife, she gets to try it first.

But will you let her read this post before she tests it early Joe???? ;)

ragweed

Truth be told, I'll be the one testing it.  And if it's not ready, I'll "get even" with Chris at the Smoke Out in August.   ;) ;)

Tenpoint5

;D ;D I smarter than NEPAS when it somes to tasting hot foods
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TedEbear

I smoked some string cheese and a few other things last night.  2:15 with hickory pellets and my A-MAZE-N tube smoker in the Bradley.  I'll see how well it went about a month from now.  And, yes, it does take a while to unwrap all those things. 

Hautly Mozzarella sticks
Hautly Co Jack sticks
Boar's Head White American
Hot Pepper Jack
Sharp Cheddar
Extra Sharp Cheddar

The dog got some smoked Pup-Peroni since the pellet tube was still smoldering after the cheese time was up:   :)

ragweed

Cheese looks great!  And I'm sure the pup will enjoy the sticks.  I tried the A-MAZE-N tube on a small batch of cheese and triscuits.  2 hrs smoke.  Tried the triscuits the next day (usually good to go).  They were very strong flavored, borderline ashy.  Wondering now if maybe one hour would have been enough for the cheese.  Gonna definitely wait at least 4 wks to try.

pensrock

I find it difficult to believe Chris would try to get someone to taste something that was not ready to consume.......  ::)  :o  ;D

Nice job on the cheese, it all looks good.  :)
We have been doing the pre-sliced american cheese for a while now and it comes out really good. great on toasted sandwiches.  :D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 16, 2014, 08:35:16 PM
;D ;D I smarter than NEPAS when it somes to tasting hot foods

your sleeping on the floor  :o