• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cure

Started by hutcho, January 20, 2014, 09:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutcho

Hey guys im looking at doing some sticks this weekend to test out my new equipment,  just 5-10lbs.  Was going yo use some high mountain stuff I have left over but they say cure needs to set overnight before smoking.  So looking at doing a recipe from the recipe site but am having a hell of a time finding cure locally (joplin, mo) where does everyone get it? Is there an alternative that I could use? I hate to order online and pay more for shipping than cure and then risk it not showing up in time.  As always thanks for the help.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

rexster

Most grocery stores sell Morton's Tender Quick. A little tweaking of the cure recipe and it's on.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

hutcho

Im looking at doing jaegers sticks.  It shows tender quick on the recipe site. I checked walmart.com but it didnt ahow it.  I will have to just go in to the stores and check.   Does it need to rest overnight?

devo

If your mixing into ground meat you don't have to leave it over night. I used hi-mountain stuff when I started making sausage but found it to salty. If your using whole meat than I would let it set over night.

devo

Habs and I tried to research their cure, emailed them and they would not give us much info so I stopped using their product altogether. From what we could tell it is close to Morton's Tender Quick

hutcho

I dont like it at all but have it and need to use it up.  I have like 5 flavors but this hunter blend isnt very salty so I am just using it.  I thought the instructions said to let it sit overnight. Thats pretty bad they wont help people out, I am really not a fan.  Im gonna shoot for finding tender quick and using jaegers recipe but this will be my backup.

tailfeathers

I don't know about your area but around here even the little mom and pop grocery stores have TQ on the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

I tried the Hi Mtn stuff when I first started doing sausage as well and it was just ok if you made fresh brats and such but it was way to salty if you used their cure. I finally just threw away their cure packets and used up my seasoning packets with my own cure 1 when I finally found it locally. If you have a Cabelas or Bass Pro locally they usually stock cure 1, some of the bulk type grocery stores also stock it. I can get it for $3.99 a pound in Dallas at Central Market.

watchdog56

Have you tried a butcher shop? If they make sausage they will have cure and may sell you small amounts. Usually enough to do 25# will only cost a buck or so.

hutcho

I have talked to a couple places and they turned me down.  Gonna call a couple more places today and also check local grocery stores for tq.

Grouperman941

It is hard to find around here, too. Try this: http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/where-to-buy  for who carries TQ.

I got my Cure #1 off Amazon.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

hutcho

Found tender quick finally!!! If anyone is in the joplin area and looking check out harps foods in carl junction.

hutcho

5 lb. lean ground beef
5 rounded tsp. Morton Tender Quick
2 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
2 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
2 1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
2 tsp. ClearLiquid Smoke
1 tsp. hickory salt

So with jaegers recipe I dont need anything else right? also would it hurt to use regular liquid smoke? I dont have any clear...is it just an appearance thing? 

seemore

hutcho your good to go use any liquid smoke will work fine
seemore

hutcho

Can you use tender quick in exchange for the cure that comes with the high mountain seasoning?