Frogmats with pork shoulder

Started by zueth, January 30, 2014, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

No matter how much pan I spray on my racks the bark on the pork shoulder always sticks. Anybody use frogmats with pork shoulder? If so how dies it work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saber 4

I've used my frogmats without spraying anything and I get a little bit of sticking but nothing major, usually not even enough to nibble on.

TNRockyraccoon

I use a thick and sticky mustard/brown sugar sauce on pork and I get some sticking, especially if I don't rock the meat back and forth a little.

The good news is you can darn near pick that frogmat clean and those morsels are some of the best!

tskeeter

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 30, 2014, 03:01:33 PM
I've used my frogmats without spraying anything and I get a little bit of sticking but nothing major, usually not even enough to nibble on.

X2

TedEbear

Quote from: zueth on January 30, 2014, 02:55:49 PM
Anybody use frogmats with pork shoulder? If so how dies it work?

I put Frogmats down on top of the racks when smoking just about anything except Chex Mix and that's only because I use cheesecloth for that.  The Frogmats have worked pretty well for me when smoking pork butts.  Hardly any sticking, unlike when I used to set them down directly on the wire rack.

Saber 4

Quote from: TedEbear on January 30, 2014, 09:02:22 PM
Quote from: zueth on January 30, 2014, 02:55:49 PM
Anybody use frogmats with pork shoulder? If so how dies it work?

I put Frogmats down on top of the racks when smoking just about anything except Chex Mix and that's only because I use cheesecloth for that.  The Frogmats have worked pretty well for me when smoking pork butts.  Hardly any sticking, unlike when I used to set them down directly on the wire rack.

When I do chex mix I put the frogmat down for stability then add cheesecloth on top, makes it easy to pick up the cheesecloth and frogmat to dump in Ziploc bags.

zueth

Thanks for the input. Looks like I will be using my frogmats

Habanero Smoker

The frogmats do help a lot, but depending on how much sugar you have in your rub and/or brine, and how heavy you apply the rub; I find when I smoke butts and salmon the frogmats can stick to the racks, but it is far less clean up then if you didn't use them. The more sugar that is in the rub or brine, the more it will seep through the frogmat, and stick to the racks, but the frogmats are worth the investment. So I still spray my racks before placing the frogmats on them. I use Pam Grilling spray; it seem to work better then any other nonstick spray I have used.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

zueth

Well the pork shoulder definitely stuck to the frog mats, not as bad as it stuck to the racks.  But i thought the clean up was almost worse because of the small holes on the frog mats filled up.

Maybe spray them with PAM and the rack with PAM?

TNRockyraccoon

Quote from: zueth on February 04, 2014, 11:45:30 AM
But i thought the clean up was almost worse because of the small holes on the frog mats filled up.

I usually use the sink sprayer and hot water on the frogmats. Most of the time they come pretty clean with just the sprayer. Then I put them in the dishwasher with the racks. I do use a brush with the sprayer on the racks to get the tough stuff, the dishwasher takes care of the rest.

tailfeathers

Quote from: TNRockyraccoon on February 04, 2014, 12:24:57 PM
Quote from: zueth on February 04, 2014, 11:45:30 AM
But i thought the clean up was almost worse because of the small holes on the frog mats filled up.

I usually use the sink sprayer and hot water on the frogmats. Most of the time they come pretty clean with just the sprayer. Then I put them in the dishwasher with the racks. I do use a brush with the sprayer on the racks to get the tough stuff, the dishwasher takes care of the rest.
Exactly what I do.

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

TedEbear

After I pull off any large pieces I usually let my Frogmats soak for a bit in the sink and then run them through the dishwasher with a load of dishes.  They always come out clean for me.

zueth

I have found if I scrub the frog mats they start to fall apart, so wouldn't recommend that.

tailfeathers

Instead of scrubbing the frog mats I spray them then if there is still some junk stuck to them I let them soak for a bit. Then try rubbing two mats together to further loosen the chunks before putting them through the dishwasher. I only use a scrub brush on the racks, not the mats.

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Habanero Smoker

I soak for about 5 minutes in warm water and regular Dawn (Dawn Power Clean works better if you can find it), then wipe (not scrub) both surfaces with a sponge and everything comes right off.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)