• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First attempt at baby back ribs

Started by Boo Boudreaux, February 05, 2014, 06:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo Boudreaux

Boo Boudreaux

Untitled by Boo Boudreaux, on Flickr

Extra meaty baby backs from my local grocery store.

Boo Boudreaux

tailfeathers

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Boo Boudreaux

Untitled by Boo Boudreaux, on Flickr

I wasn't sure what method to use, I read where some folks do a 3-2-1 an others use a 2-1-1.   I decided to land in the middle and went with a 2.75/1.5/1.  I think they would have been better if I went with a 3-2-1.    The ribs were listed as extra meaty baby backs , in fact I never had baby backs that had so much lean meat.    They were fully cooked, good amount of smoke , but I think more time rapped in foil would have made them better.

Saber 4

Looks like a success from here. I'd eat a rack or three of those ribs.

pensrock

Look good you can serve me a plate or two of those.  :)

iceman

Looks great. Wish I could get extra meaty ribs up here!

tailfeathers

Quote from: iceman on February 06, 2014, 01:06:30 PM
Now you know we feel about fresh wild caught salmon!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceman

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 06, 2014, 01:21:16 PM

Quote from: iceman on February 06, 2014, 01:06:30 PM
Now you know we feel about fresh wild caught salmon!!!

;D  ;D  ;D

Boo Boudreaux

I agree tailfeathers,  If iceman only knew how bad I've been wanting to smoke some fresh salmon. 

Never tried to smoke any in the bradley, might need some tips from the pro's but soon and very soon the bradley will have something other than pork butts, sausage, chicken , & ribs. 

tailfeathers

Yea, the smoked salmon I've been making is unbelievably delicious, but at 12.99/lb it has to saved for treats and special occasions. One of my fishing buddies has been catching some rainbows. He loves my salmon so I told him to get a batch of trout, I'll smoke them and split them with him. Hope they turn out even half as good as the salmon I'll be in hog heaven. Which apparently isn't Alaska, right Iceman?

Spliner

Quote from: Boo Boudreaux on February 05, 2014, 06:33:27 PM
I wasn't sure what method to use, I read where some folks do a 3-2-1 an others use a 2-1-1.   I decided to land in the middle and went with a 2.75/1.5/1.  I think they would have been better if I went with a 3-2-1.    The ribs were listed as extra meaty baby backs , in fact I never had baby backs that had so much lean meat.    They were fully cooked, good amount of smoke , but I think more time rapped in foil would have made them better.

The "Extra Meaty" back ribs are what my local Wal-Mart sells.  We love them.  Lots of lean meat on them.  I'm a big guy and I'm hard pressed to eat a half rack of them and generally when I order baby backs in a restaurant I can plow through a full rack (less meat on them) if I want.  For me, 3-2-1 on the extra meaty ones works perfect.  3 hours of smoke, 2 hours in foil with a bit of apple juice (or whatever liquid you prefer), and either 1 hour more in the Bradley with sauce toward the end, or 30 minutes or so in the Bradley while I warm up the gas grill.. then sauce them on the gas grill to finish.  They are always great each and every time.  Get so tender I have to be careful on the gas grill that they don't fall apart.  We like our ribs to stay on the bone, but we like them very tender, almost fall off the bone.  If they do fall off the bone, we don't complain.

Spliner

STLstyle

Quote from: tailfeathers on February 07, 2014, 12:54:11 PM
Yea, the smoked salmon I've been making is unbelievably delicious, but at 12.99/lb it has to saved for treats and special occasions. One of my fishing buddies has been catching some rainbows. He loves my salmon so I told him to get a batch of trout, I'll smoke them and split them with him. Hope they turn out even half as good as the salmon I'll be in hog heaven. Which apparently isn't Alaska, right Iceman?

Done them both:

Smoked trout = decent
Salmon = unbelievable

That's my 2 cents

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Tenpoint5

Sounds to me like you GET to make another batch of ribs to try your theory!! Damn the bad luck ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!