Smoked rainbow trout with dry brine and alder wood

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, February 08, 2014, 01:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I'm still a new smoker and experimenting, but I seem to have more luck with dry brines so far.  I used this recipe with an overnight brine in the refrigerator for my first rainbow trout smoke.  I smoked for 4 hours starting at 120 F and increased 20 degrees each hour.  I'll do this one again, delicious, I'm going to enjoy it watching the hockey game tonight.

The biggest issue I'm having so far as a new smoker is that my buddies keep asking me what I'm smoking each weekend and of course make me promise to give them some.  Sharing is good I guess.

Here's the brine I used.

6 cups of brown sugar
1½ cups kosher salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper

STLstyle

Looks good!  Thanks for the recipe.  I start catching rainbows this time of year.  Trying to figure a few different ways to eat them that I like.
I did the Kummok's recipe earlier this week.  It's definitely worth your time to try it out if you haven't already.

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Saber 4

WoodlawnSmoker

I had to do this recipe again, my buddies were begging for another taste.  My favourite way to eat this has been on a toasted bagel, smothered with cream cheese and topped with bits of trout, chopped red onion and capers...fantastic.

I used apple smoke this time to see if there will be a difference.

This is what it looks like shortly after packing in dry brine

This is what it looked like after a rest overnight in the frig

Ready for tomorrow's lunch

TNRockyraccoon

That looks fantastic.

I might have to overlook my strict catch and release policies for a day or two next week.  ;)

tailfeathers

Quote from: TNRockyraccoon on March 15, 2014, 02:42:52 PM
That looks fantastic.

I might have to overlook my strict catch and release policies for a day or two next week.  ;)
I also release the majority of the fish I catch, but I surely keep some to eat as well. Fish are what I call a renewable resource, and if everyone treats them with the respect they deserve there are very few fisheries that can't sustain themselves while still providing protein for the fishermen. It's the neanderthals who think that they are only successful if they kill a limit of fish or have a freezer chock full who cause "fished out" waters.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Grouperman941

Looks good.

When someone asks me, "What are you smoking for us this weekend?" I answer, "Whatever meat you're bringing." :-)
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: Grouperman941 on March 16, 2014, 04:11:11 PM
Looks good.

When someone asks me, "What are you smoking for us this weekend?" I answer, "Whatever meat you're bringing." :-)

That's a good line, I'm going to borrow it

TNRockyraccoon

Quote from: tailfeathers on March 15, 2014, 05:05:09 PM
I also release the majority of the fish I catch, but I surely keep some to eat as well. Fish are what I call a renewable resource, and if everyone treats them with the respect they deserve there are very few fisheries that can't sustain themselves while still providing protein for the fishermen. It's the neanderthals who think that they are only successful if they kill a limit of fish or have a freezer chock full who cause "fished out" waters.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those who look down my nose at people keeping fish. As long as people play by the rules it doesn't bother me one bit to see folks harvesting some fish. As for my boat though, we always catch and release when I'm working for a couple of reasons. Mainly, I don't want my drink cooler smelling like fish.  ;) . Plus, if my boat kept fish it wouldn't take my anglers long to fish out a river.....that's how good I am.  ;) ;D ;) ;D

thefuzzman

Hey guys, brand new to the forum.....brand new to smoking actually.  As a matter of fact I'm seasoning my new smoker as we speak.
Hey woodlawn, just read your dry brine trout fillets.  Did you rinse these and if so, how much?  Sorry for the dumb question, but I might try this right away.  Looks awesome!

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: thefuzzman on March 20, 2014, 04:28:40 PM
Hey guys, brand new to the forum.....brand new to smoking actually.  As a matter of fact I'm seasoning my new smoker as we speak.
Hey woodlawn, just read your dry brine trout fillets.  Did you rinse these and if so, how much?  Sorry for the dumb question, but I might try this right away.  Looks awesome!

Hi Fuzz, welcome aboard.  I just rinsed them well under the tap with lukewarm water when I took them out of the brine.  Just make sure you rinse off all the excess stuff sticking to the fillets then put them back in the fridge for a couple of hours uncovered to get the pellicle (sticky to touch).

Let us know how you make out.

pjplovedog

That looks wonderful! 
Thank you for sharing the recipe and photos...
:)

thefuzzman

Thanks woodlawn.  The wife is picking up ingredients and supplies tomorrow after work.  I'm building me some smoked trout Saturday!!
Anything else you can help me out on will be greatly appreciated.

WoodlawnSmoker

Thanks pjplovedog.  Fuzz, I stopped raising the temp once I got to 180 F and let it finish to an internal temp of 140 F. 

thefuzzman