Rum injected smoked ham

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, March 09, 2014, 06:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

This is a Jeff Phillips recipe, author of Smoking Meats.  It's the second time I've done this recipe and it one of the best hams we've had, really nice.  I'm ready to serve this to guests now, it's easy enough to make while talking and having pints while preparing, very moist.  Feel free to offer any improvements.

Injection Sauce
1/3 cup white rum
1/4 pound butter stick
1/3 cup brown sugar
On low heat melt butter into rum and dissolve brown sugar.  Inject about every 1 inch, drawing needle out as injecting.  I wrapped ham in plastic wrap before injecting as it can get messy.

Outer Rub
Brush Dijon Mustard over entire exterior, Rub brown sugar over entire exterior creating paste.

Smoking
Preheat smoker to 220 degrees F.  Using maple, smoke for 2 hours.  Remove from smoker, wrap in tin foil but before sealing foil, spray all over with pineapple juice (I used a plastic spray bottle).  Seal foil and return to smoker (without smoke) for 2 hours or until internal temperature gets to 135 degrees F. 

Glaze
Remove from smoker, open foil into boat and cover entire ham with brown sugar.  Spray with pineapple juice to dissolve sugar.  Start smoke again and heat until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.

Remove from smoker, tent and let sit for 20 minutes.   Cut into slices or pieces and serve.

Saber 4

Bet that would be great in some breakfast taco's.

Habanero Smoker

This looks like a good recipe.

The only thing I can offer, is when I inject I don't wrap the meat in plastic. I place the meat on a rimmed cookie sheet or in a roasting pan to catch all to the injection that spills out. I love rum, so maybe I would use a dark rum. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dano

Looks fantastic but is this an already pre-cooked/smoked ham? Only reason I ask is that I counted 4 hours prep outside of the glaze section. I only have experiences with pork shoulders for pulled pork and I know they get up to 195 F but wanted to double check here. That and I love dark and/or spiced rum so would love to try this!!!

Thanks. 
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

pjplovedog

Oh boy, that sure looks fabulous. 
I am also assuming that this is a pre-cooked, boneless piece of ham? 
I was toying with the idea of curing a ham for Easter but this might be a great alternative and sounds fun, too!

Thanks for sharing.
:)

WoodlawnSmoker

Yes, this was a pre-cooked, boneless ham.  I think I will use dark rum next time, but the white worked fine, nice and moist.  Leftovers are easily warmed in the oven with a bit of pineapple juice for moisture, cut up finely for toasted westerns (or breakfast tacos) and finally into a nice pea soup.  I love ham, so versatile and it goes on sale often at the butcher.

hutcho

Looks great gonna have to try this one, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pjplovedog on March 10, 2014, 01:57:26 PM
Oh boy, that sure looks fabulous. 
I am also assuming that this is a pre-cooked, boneless piece of ham? 
I was toying with the idea of curing a ham for Easter but this might be a great alternative and sounds fun, too!

Thanks for sharing.
:)

You can cure your own ham, fully cook it in the smoker, and use the injection when you reheat the ham.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dano

Thanks for the reply! We often grab a fully cooked ham and slow bake for most of the day at 275F with a foil cap. Much better than buying deli meat for lunches! Looking forward to trying this!
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)