• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help diagnosing what is wrong with Bradley

Started by pjplovedog, March 11, 2014, 12:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjplovedog

I have an Original Bradley that I acquired about summer of 2012.  It's out of warranty.
I already had to replace the SG, it wouldn't auto advance the pucks, and that new part is working fine today. 
I am smoking a rack of baby backs, some small turkey tenderloins and a brisket flat.  It is about 52 outside temp, and the smoker preheated to 200 with the PID just fine.  I loaded it up with room temperature meat.
It's having trouble getting above 130 degrees after two hours..  The probe for the PID is right above the lowest rack in the cabinet. I am not opening the door.  I put hot water in the catch basin.   
Is it possible that the element went out? 
How high would the SG alone be able to heat the cabinet?
I might have to pull it all out and throw it in the oven at this pace. 

Advise or thoughts? 

Habanero Smoker

With those ambient temperatures, that load, plus the hot water, you cabinet can easily get to 130°F with only the bisquette burner. It does seem that the element is not working. I don't know what model you have, but if you go to the below link, is should help you trouble shoot.

Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pjplovedog

Thanks so much for the tips.

I feel kinda sheepish ::)
In troubleshooting, here is what I think happened.
It turns while I was fiddling with my setup I accidentally interrupted power to the PID so it had lost my setup temp and reverted back to presets, which was a much lower temp than I had programmed into it at the start.  SOOOOOOOO once I reprogrammed the temp into the PID, the smoker is nicely getting back up to temp, it is now at 175 and rising. 

I used to get straight A's in college... you'd never know it now!  It's been a long time since college.... LOL 

Thanks for your help anyway. 

:)

Habanero Smoker

Hey! You figured out the problem, so that is a great job troubleshooting.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Thanks for coming back and posting what you found.  So many times someone has a problem, people offer suggestions and then they never log back on and post the solution that fixed it.

I was going to suggest checking the plug connection between the SG and the tower.

My calculations say the BB ribs should be done by now.  Don't forget to take some pics of the finished product and post them.   :)

pjplovedog

I will do that Teddybear. 
BTW, i have a dog  named Teddy.  We all call him Teddybear because that's what he is.   :)

renoman

Quote from: pjplovedog on March 11, 2014, 01:10:29 PM
Thanks so much for the tips.

I feel kinda sheepish ::)
In troubleshooting, here is what I think happened.
It turns while I was fiddling with my setup I accidentally interrupted power to the PID so it had lost my setup temp and reverted back to presets, which was a much lower temp than I had programmed into it at the start.  SOOOOOOOO once I reprogrammed the temp into the PID, the smoker is nicely getting back up to temp, it is now at 175 and rising. 

I used to get straight A's in college... you'd never know it now!  It's been a long time since college.... LOL 

Thanks for your help anyway. 

:)

My PID always reverts back to the last settings I programmed it to as apposed to any preset temps.