smoking skinless salmon

Started by nwcove, June 04, 2014, 02:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwcove

any tips on what to use on my racks to smoke skinless salmon so the pieces dont fall through when they start to flake apart and still have it smoke on both sides?? 

tailfeathers

I have both frogmats and Q-matz, they both work wonders. They are flexible, non stick and cleanup is a breeze. I use them on everything, no matter what I am smoking, but they are best for nuts and salmon. Frog mats can be ordered from Yard and Pool's website in sizes to fit your racks, Qmatz and quite a bit cheaper and work just as well, they come in rolls and you cut them to your desired size. They can be ordered from A-Maze-N's site.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

If you look at the pictures in this post, the pictures of the butts in the smoker show them on frogmats. Q-matz are made of the same material with a slightly smaller mesh size.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=35141.msg406769#msg406769

nwcove

thanks for the replies!  are those products stainless steel or ???   was hoping for a diy sollution as i normally do skin on fish.....a good friend unknowingly dropped off about 10lbs of skinless stuff, so this will probably be just a one time thing.  ( but i do want to try smoking burgers before grilling....so maybe the purchase would be worth it?)

tim

ragweed

Like TF, I use frog mats whenever I smoke, whatever I smoke.  IMO well worth the money.

tailfeathers

I would definitely recommend springing for either Q or Frog mats, I can promise you that it is money well spent. They are like teflon coated fiberglass or something. I attached a link that shows another use for them, I use them to keep my loins nice and round when I make canadian bacon.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34876.msg404347#msg404347

nwcove

just ordered the q mats. 50% off deal. the matts are cheaper than the shipping!

tailfeathers

Yeah, wish I'd found the Q-matz 1st. You will be glad you have them, and I'd be willing to bet that you wont smoke anything without them anymore. Dont know whether you ever smoke nuts or chex mix, etc but here's a post that shows how I made some baskets out of Q's to keep stuff from falling off the sides and ends of the rack.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34968.msg405325#msg405325

nwcove

no experience with much more than ribs and fish....almost unlimited supply of fish here in nova scotia, i do have some cheese smoked and trying not to sample it before its ready.....really enjoying this new to me hobby.  i really appreciate the help guys/gals!!!!!

tailfeathers

Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind, lots of good folks here who love to help. Check the susanminor.org recipe site for tons of good recipes and helpful information.