First 3-2-1 Ribs

Started by waycoolcat, June 11, 2014, 03:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waycoolcat

Sure, sharing is what this forum is all about!
I want to be a better carnivore!

TedEbear

Quote from: waycoolcat on June 12, 2014, 07:02:07 AM
The baked beans are from the Food Network site, "Once and Future Beans", from Alton Brown. They are from dry beans cooked at 250* slow for eight hours. They were tender and savory, not overly sweet. So far, the best from scratch baked beans I've made.

Did you cook them in a cast iron Dutch oven like the recipe calls for?  I don't have one of those and I was wondering if a crock pot could be used instead.  I'm thinking about trying this out next weekend with a brisket and a few slabs of ribs for our visiting friends from the Land Down Under.

waycoolcat

I don't have a traditional cast iron dutch oven, just a commercial 7 quart dutch oven pot with a glass lid. That's how how did them, but yes, I think the crock pot would be great too especially to keep the household heat down now that summer is here. I'd check them after 6 hours, then seven and maybe go all the way to eight if they aren't tender enough. Then just keep them on "warm" until serving time. I hope your company has a great time and some good eating!
I want to be a better carnivore!

TedEbear

OK, I did the crock pot method today and otherwise followed the exact recipe as far as the ingredients and cooking for 8 hours.  For the first few hours I thought I was going to end up with bean soup because there seemed to be a lot of liquid.  However, it eventually cooked down and the end product was very good.  They went well with the brisket, BB ribs and brats and all the guests said they were great.

I think I'm going to hold off on getting a Dutch oven since the crock pot seems to do a fairly decent job.  Thanks for the recipe hint.   :)