5 1/4 lb prime rib roast

Started by stuper01, October 24, 2014, 05:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuper01

Well, gonna try a prime rib roast tomorrow... plans are to rub it tonight, and then go at it tomorrow...

Can you guys give input on cooking times and temps?

Don't want to mess up this expensive piece of meat.....

Grouperman941

I go at 200 F or 225 F until IT of 125. Then foil and rest. Should be perfect medium rare. You could put a crust on after rest on the grill or in a really hot oven, but I don't think that is necessary. Depends on the meat, but usually 3-4 hours in the Bradley. I smoke for 3 with oak or apple.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Ka Honu

You'll get lots of advice but there is no better way to cook prime rib than the one described here on seriouseats.com. Period.

Wildcat

Thanks for the link Turtle Man. It looks perfect.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

renoman

I cook a 5-1/2 lb prime rib roast for 4 hrs at 200 and 3-1/2 hrs at 175. (or until your desired doneness) The Bradley smoker works great for this "IF" you have a PID that can hold the temps steady.

GusRobin

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 24, 2014, 11:03:24 PM
You'll get lots of advice but there is no better way to cook prime rib than the one described here on seriouseats.com. Period.
X2
I make all my rib roasts this way and have never been disappointed.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

stuper01

Thanks everyone for the input... I'll let you all know how it turns out.

renoman

Quote from: stuper01 on October 25, 2014, 10:30:01 AM

Nice looking roast. What I do is cut the bones off before I cook it and then tie them back on when cooking. It saves having to cut them off when it's done and lose all the juices.

stuper01

Can't talk..... meat too good..

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Salmonsmoker

Great job stupor! I'll take a slice of that!
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

WoodlawnSmoker

Looks great, nicely done!  Did you smoke it at all?  My personal belief is that beef is one of the best meats done in the Bradley, even without a PID.  Low and slow seems to work well with all cuts of beef for smoking.