• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pre-Wired PID

Started by robs, August 01, 2006, 09:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robs

Is it possible to buy a pre-wired PID at a reasonable price? I'm not smart enough to build one (at least I'm honest).

I used the search tool and read the links and looked at a bunch of diagrams, wires, and lights and stuff. I just want to click "order now", open the cardboard box it's shipped in, plug in my smoker and go.

Thanks in advance.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

begolf25

Robs,

After reading about the PID's when I first got my Bradley I knew I had to have one.  But I felt I was in the same situation you were and could never build such a monster.  After reading tons of threads and asking lots of questions I figured what the hell and decided to give it a shot. After getting all the parts and staring at them for awhile I realized building this would not be as confusing as I had made it out to be.  The best part is you can build a simple model for under $100.00. I will never be without one again.  If you change your mind and decide to try and build one let me know.  I will be glad to help you along as I am sure many others here will also.  Good luck and welcome to the boards!

robs

Quote from: begolf25 on August 01, 2006, 12:53:05 PM
Robs,

After reading about the PID's when I first got my Bradley I knew I had to have one.  But I felt I was in the same situation you were and could never build such a monster.  After reading tons of threads and asking lots of questions I figured what the hell and decided to give it a shot. After getting all the parts and staring at them for awhile I realized building this would not be as confusing as I had made it out to be.  The best part is you can build a simple model for under $100.00. I will never be without one again.  If you change your mind and decide to try and build one let me know.  I will be glad to help you along as I am sure many others here will also.  Good luck and welcome to the boards!

Yeah, I think I might give this a try. I'm going to search the forum a bit more and see if I can figure this out. $250 seems a bit steep for the raptor thingy. Thanks!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: robs on August 01, 2006, 04:51:16 PM

$250 seems a bit steep for the raptor thingy. Thanks!

Not when you consider the extras that come with it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

robs

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 02, 2006, 04:35:29 AM

Ok, you peeked my interest. Can you please explain why this would be a better value than a homebrew setup? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

robs

Quote from: begolf25 on August 01, 2006, 12:53:05 PM
Robs,

I took the plunge today and ordered the parts to build a box. I ordered the same stuff that nodak did in this thread: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2739.75

I also ordered the Maverick et-73 for $40.

So for $114, I should have a pretty good setup. I just have to figure out that wiring diagram in that other thread. Thanks for the advice!

rob

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: robs on August 02, 2006, 06:06:44 AM

Ok, you peeked my interest. Can you please explain why this would be a better value than a homebrew setup? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I just saw the above post. I don't know how I missed it.

Well for $114, that's pretty good. The extras I was referring to for the Raptor/Guru is that the meat and cabinet monitors can work together. This is called the ramp feature; when the cabinet temperature will decline as the meat temperature approaches the set value, then it will hold the cabinet temperature at the same setting as the meat temperature. So you set it up that you will never over shoot you meat temperature, preventing it from being overcooked. Almost making it truly a "set it and forget it" system. Finally, a feature I am most interested in, with the purchase of the right equipment, it can be modified to control the temperature in most charcoal smokers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

robs

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 07, 2006, 03:29:16 AM
Quote from: robs on August 02, 2006, 06:06:44 AM

I just saw the above post. I don't know how I missed it.

Well for $114, that's pretty good. The extras I was referring to for the Raptor/Guru is that the meat and cabinet monitors can work together. This is called the ramp feature; when the cabinet temperature will decline as the meat temperature approaches the set value, then it will hold the cabinet temperature at the same setting as the meat temperature. So you set it up that you will never over shoot you meat temperature, preventing it from being overcooked. Almost making it truly a "set it and forget it" system. Finally, a feature I am most interested in, with the purchase of the right equipment, it can be modified to control the temperature in most charcoal smokers.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. Yeah, the ramp feature would be cool. I was actualy close to ordering the package until I found out the warranty was only 90 days. I'm sure it's a fine product, I've read good reviews.

Habanero Smoker

For some reason new messages in this thread don't list as unread when I click on "Show unread post...."

Good luck with you PID.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

robs

Quote from: robs on August 01, 2006, 09:59:21 AM
Is it possible to buy a pre-wired PID at a reasonable price? I'm not smart enough to build one (at least I'm honest).

I used the search tool and read the links and looked at a bunch of diagrams, wires, and lights and stuff. I just want to click "order now", open the cardboard box it's shipped in, plug in my smoker and go.

Thanks in advance.

Ok people, listen to how desperate and affraid I sounded in this post. Before I build my PID, I didn't know anything about electronics or electricity. I had heard of "ground" before, but didn't know about neutral and hot. I was scared sh!tless to tackle this project. I'm telling you, if you have any interest in building a PID - you can do it.

I was lucky enough to have help from another forum member (begolf25). He went above and beyond. Here's the deal, until I get a chance to write up a "Building a PID for Dummies", anyone who is interested can send me an email or PM asking any questions.

I hope to have the complete set of instructions posted within the next few days. Until then,

This is the PID I bought
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

This is the SSR I bought
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=9

Total cost for the project was about $100.

Auberins is a pleasure to work with. They have incredible support.

Good luck, and look forward to a "Building a PID for Dummies" coming real soon.

rob

asa

Congratulations on your success, Rob, and thanks for sharing and exuding such confidence. Almost makes me feel like I could do it. I will definitely look forward to your complete set of instructions.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

robs

Quote from: asa on August 17, 2006, 08:08:26 PM
Congratulations on your success, Rob, and thanks for sharing and exuding such confidence. Almost makes me feel like I could do it. I will definitely look forward to your complete set of instructions.

If you have $100, can read, and have at least one hand, you can do it. I'm glad that there is some interest. I'll try to have a post sometime Sunday.

rob

Arcs_n_Sparks

robs,

Glad to hear your success.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Smudge

I'm looking forward to it!