• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cold Smoke & Sensor Cord

Started by Davemartin88, February 05, 2015, 03:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davemartin88

New owner of a digital smoker. Instructions say for cold smoking, remove the sensor cord. If you don't turn on the oven heat, what is the reason to remove the cord? Good to know it doesn't need to be connected in case I try to move the generator away from the tower like some have done. I'm going to try to cold smoke some cheese soon so will remove the cord, just wondered what that accomplished. Thanks.

dave01

when you remove the sensor cord you will have to plug in a cold smoke adapter plug so your unit will still work

KyNola

In your question you gave the answer.  If you use a cold smoke adapter, the cord is too short to remain plugged in to both the generator and tower when the generator is separated from the tower.

As was mentioned if you unplug the cord you will need a cold smoke adapter plug to insert in the smoke generator in order to avoid getting the E1 beeping error message.  If you are so inclined, you could also lengthen the cord itself so that both ends can remain plugged in when the generator is separated from the tower.

Gafala

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Davemartin88

Thanks for the information on the plug, will need that if I make a cold smoke unit although interesting the instructions tell you to remove the cord but don't mention anything about needing to insert a bypass plug?

Maybe I didn't ask my question clearly. The instructions say to remove the sensor plug if cold smoking but I'm asking why you need to do this? If you turn on only the smoke generator and don't turn on the oven heater, what is the issue with having the sensor cord plugged in? For my first cold smoke, thought I would try it with the generator still attached to the tower but only turn on the smoke generator. I can control the heat by opening the door or with ice as others suggested- just seems odd that the instructions would tell you to remove the plug, especially if it will cause an error message?

I may be missing something obvious but seems best to leave the sensor cord attached when trying to cold smoke.

Thanks again for the helpful links to the plug!

dave01

If you unplug the sensor cord nothing will work, thats why you need the plug if you use a cold smoker adapter

Davemartin88

Quote from: dave01 on February 05, 2015, 03:06:51 PM
If you unplug the sensor cord nothing will work, thats why you need the plug if you use a cold smoker adapter

Not quite sure why I'm having such a hard time getting my question answered, sorry if I'm being unclear, maybe it's a terminology issue.

I'm not using a cold smoke adapter, I want to cold smoke by only using the smoke generator that is connected to the tower. I might try the cardbox box or other other ideas later but for now, just thought I would try to smoke some cheese using the unit as it is originally configured.

I also understand if I unplug the sensor cord, nothing will work unless there is a plug. My question is why unplug the sensor cable in the first place? The instructions tell you to unplug the sensor cable when doing a cold smoke, why do you need to do this if the smoke generator remains attached to the tower and you don't turn on the oven element?

Giving this one more try, thanks to those that have replied with some good information!  :D

RAF128

What you want to do will work just fine. I've done it.   Don't turn on the heat to the cabinet and watch the internal temp of the cabinet so it doesn't get too high.   Ice in the cabinet will help.   Unfortunetly you'll have to baby sit the unit.

dave01

you could just not turn on the heat element like your thinking but remember the unit can reach 125 degrees or more without the main element on. In the summer when temps are warmer you could stand there and open the door and use ice to regulate heat but it would take some of the fun out of the process I would think

Gafala

Quote from: Davemartin88 on February 06, 2015, 03:14:16 AM
Quote from: dave01 on February 05, 2015, 03:06:51 PM

Not quite sure why I'm having such a hard time getting my question answered, sorry if I'm being unclear, maybe it's a terminology issue.

I'm not using a cold smoke adapter, I want to cold smoke by only using the smoke generator that is connected to the tower. I might try the cardbox box or other other ideas later but for now, just thought I would try to smoke some cheese using the unit as it is originally configured.

I also understand if I unplug the sensor cord, nothing will work unless there is a plug. My question is why unplug the sensor cable in the first place? The instructions tell you to unplug the sensor cable when doing a cold smoke, why do you need to do this if the smoke generator remains attached to the tower and you don't turn on the oven element?

Giving this one more try, thanks to those that have replied with some good information!  :D

To answer your question why unplug the sensor cord in the first place, they assume you will be using a smoke adapter, using it puts the smoke generator futher away from the smoker the sensor cord not long enough hence the use of the plug. ;D
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.