Whole Red Emperor - how to smoke?

Started by mrsmain, April 02, 2015, 05:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsmain

Would anyone like to give advice on how to hot smoke a 1.5kg whole red emperor fish for today (Good Friday)?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dave01

It's a little over 3 pounds, I think I would brine it with a 80% brine for about 35 or 40 minutes and then put it in the smoker at 200 and smoke till done

Divey

Seeing as the Red Emperor is similar to a snapper, have a look at this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_daTGgDZCl8

Divey

mrsmain

Thank you very much [emoji1]

Habanero Smoker

If it is like red snapper, which I like the flavor of that fish, so I wouldn't use a cure that will alter the taste of fish with nitrites. I would flavor brine it so that it would remain moist. Then you can build different layers of flavors on top of that. My favorite way to prepare red snapper is using a jerk seasoning after it has been brined. I smoke it with either Pacific Blend, or Maple bisquettes, until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F, or until you can flake it with a fork.

The brine I use is  simple brine, but you can add herbs and other flavoring to the brine, but for fish, I prefer to add the seasonings to the fish not the brine.

Simple Brine: Sugar is optional.
1 Gal. Water (or other liquid)
1/2 Cup Pickling Salt (152 g.) (or non-iodine table salt)
1/2 Cup Brown or White Sugar

Smaller Quantity
2 Cups Water
1 Tablespoon Pickling Salt (19 g.) (or non-iodine table salt)
1 Tablespoon  Brown or White Sugar

Dissolve salt and sugar in water, then chill the brine in the refrigerator. Once brine is chilled add fish, and brine for 2 hours. Turning and/or stirring the brine once during the brining time. After brining pat dry with paper towels. If you have time, let it air dry in the refrigerator uncovered for a couple of hours. Season your fish, and cook at 225°F, until you reach your desired doness.

When adding additional seasonings to the fish, do not add any additional salt the recipe may call for. It is better to season with salt at the table. I prefer to use pickling or table salt because the finer grains dissolve much easier in cold water.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mrsmain

Thank you very much Habanero Smoker. [emoji3]