Planning another test.

Started by woofer700, April 09, 2015, 05:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woofer700

I'm planning another smoke. Have a 3.5-4lb pork loin. Already have my seasoning.
Could use ideas on smoke time, oven temp, oven time. My smoker seems to run hot. I ran a test yesterday on 1lb of burger. Kept it in tube shape.
Checking temp this is what I found. Oven temp set at 200, temp of oven by Bradley sensor was 207, (stayed at 207 pretty close) checked with dig therm, at top of oven air holes was 229. Not sure what do do. Maybe use my webber. Totally confused with this smoker. Or maybe it's my brain telling me it's harder than it looks, like when I smoke with the webber charcoal, I know it's 3-4 hrs, and done. Just trying to figure out this Bradley. If anyone can help. That would really be great.

Grouperman941

For a pork loin, I would just roll 3 hours of smoke, apple, maple, or hickory, at around 225.

I don't have digital, so without PID, I'd set the Bradley on high and watch to make sure the temp didn't go over temp. I would put a temp sensor one rack below the meat and use that to compare to the Bradley sensor to get a sense of how close that is.

More important than the exact temp of the oven is the internal temp of the meat. I would stop at 140 degrees F and tent with foil. too much hotter and the roast could start to dry out.

The meat should be close to done at the end of the 3 hours, but you never know. Meat gets done when it gets done. It could be faster or slower.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

watchdog56

I have a 6 rack digital and also had a 4 rack digital. The temp swing can be +/- 20 degree sometimes. I like to keep my temp probe under the meat. Because I make sausage and do fish I did buy a PID and without it I could not do either because of the temp swing. With the PID the swing might only be +/- 2 degree which is important so you don't get a fat out situation when making sausage.

I have never done a pork loin but my guess would be oven temp around 225 and pull meat when IT hits 150-160. I would probably only smoke for 2-3 hours using either apple or hickory.

tskeeter

I'm with Grouperman's recommendation to cook to an IT of 140 and then wrap in foil.  There will be some carry over cooking that will bring the final temp up to 145 or so.  If you cook to 150, the carry over will push your temp to about 155, which can start to make your already lean pork loin a little dry.

Beekeeper

I understand and appreciate the mild confusion with the temperature issue with the Bradley Smoker.  I also have the digital 4 rack unit, and I monitor the temps with an igrill temp probe unit.  Like watchdog, I do sausage several times a year, and I found it nearly impossible to get consistent results due to the temp swings, or the false temp readings on the factory sensor.

I have since purchased a PID unit from Auber Instruments, and this have basically revolutionized this smoker unit.  With the programmable features of the PID, I can set this control unit, and walk away with confidence that the end result will be consistent, and acceptable.  If you are ok with spending a bit more money to really get the best from your Bradley, take a look at a PID unit.  I think you'll be pleased with the results.

I have no affiliation with Auber Instruments, other than being a very satisfied customer..........and a happy smoker!   ;)