Puck feed motor not working

Started by Huntr, July 25, 2015, 10:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntr

Digital 4 shelf smoker

The motor to feed the pucks apparently quit working. There is power throughout the rest of the unit, all wires internally connected, push rod is aligned and not jammed or dirty, etc, etc.

Previously when I started it up, the puck feed would automatically advance. Now, nothing happens with the feed on startup. Push the button to advance, nothing happens. Motor does not move or even make a noise. Manually push the button on the micro switch and I hear a click, but nothing happens with the motor. Eventually, it starts beeping and gives an E error code.

Its about 5 or 6 years old, so far out of warranty, but I'd like to know if there is anything I can do short of buying a whole new generator unit.

cathouse willy

The motors do wear out but they are replaceable.Bradley sold me a new motor for a very reasonable price.Installation is easy for anyone with a bit of mechanical ability.  Call them

tailfeathers

Or spend the money on an a-maze-n tube instead and use that to produce smoke instead of the puck burner. I couldn't even tell you whether my SG works or not it's been so long since I've used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Pellets are WAY cheaper than pucks as well.

Aschenbrenner

Quote from: tailfeathers on July 25, 2015, 01:26:50 PM
Or spend the money on an a-maze-n tube instead and use that to produce smoke instead of the puck burner. I couldn't even tell you whether my SG works or not it's been so long since I've used it.

At 30.00 for a 12",  the A-maz-n tube does sound like excellent value and there's no doubt that pellets are less expensive than pucks.  Tailfeather - have you noticed any difference in the quantity and quality of smoke between the two different applications?  I'm just getting set to order a tube!
Calgary

Cookshack PG1000 pellet smoker :)
Bradley DBS
Weber Genesis

tailfeathers

I have both a 6 and 12 inch tube and love them. I don't notice much difference as far as smoke quality or quantity I guess. Maybe a little denser smoke with the tubes? I lay them in front of the water bowl and loosen the front of the SG from its peg to allow a tad more airflow for draft. My top vent is always wide open. In fact I can't even move it anymore I don't think.

Aschenbrenner

Quote from: tailfeathers on July 25, 2015, 05:46:40 PM
I have both a 6 and 12 inch tube and love them. I don't notice much difference as far as smoke quality or quantity I guess. Maybe a little denser smoke with the tubes? I lay them in front of the water bowl and loosen the front of the SG from its peg to allow a tad more airflow for draft. My top vent is always wide open. In fact I can't even move it anymore I don't think.

Thanx Tailfeathers for your prompt reply and additional information relative to tube placement and airflow.   8)
Calgary

Bradley DBS
Weber Genesis

tailfeathers

No problem and good luck!! If you don't already have some I highly recommend the Qmatz that you can order from a-maze-n.

TedEbear

I switched to a 12" A-MAZE-N tube a couple of years ago when the Bradley pucks were in short supply.  I've never gone back.  A 20# bag of $20 pellets lasts me well over a year.  $15 when they're on sale. 

Aschenbrenner

Quote from: tailfeathers on July 25, 2015, 07:03:31 PM
No problem and good luck!! If you don't already have some I highly recommend the Qmatz that you can order from a-maze-n.

Thanx again Tailfeathers - I ordered the 6 & 12 inch tubes as well as 5 feet of 24" Qmatz this morning - looking forward to its arrival! 😀🍷
Calgary

Bradley DBS
Weber Genesis

Huntr

Quote from: tailfeathers on July 25, 2015, 01:26:50 PM

Welp, my new 12 inch tube and pellets should be here sometime this week.

Thanks for the heads up.

piratey

I also use the a-maze-n tube and it works well, although there is a bit of a learning curve when you start.  I did a mailbox mod for cold smoking and that also works well.

mwilliams7967

Ok, I'm having an issue with my digital puck feeder as well. Are you guys saying you use these tubes in your Bradley? And if so, any chance of a picture on where you place it?!

TedEbear

Quote from: mwilliams7967 on July 30, 2015, 06:09:27 AM
Ok, I'm having an issue with my digital puck feeder as well. Are you guys saying you use these tubes in your Bradley? And if so, any chance of a picture on where you place it?!

No pic but I lay mine on top of the water bowl, slightly off to the side so grease does not drip down on it.

tailfeathers

I move my water bowl back a tad and lay my tube across the front with the open (lit) end closest to the SG. I loosen the SG from the front mounting peg so there is a slight opening between the cabinet and SG to create a little extra draft for the tube.