Quick and Easy Questions for Turkey

Started by tyrodsports, November 17, 2015, 08:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrodsports

In the military and I wanted to smoke a turkey for my team.  From what I have read...it may be best to smoke for about 3 hours at a high temp and then transfer to the oven. 

Questions:
Any suggestions on the best pucks to use?
How long and at what temp should I finish the Turkey at in the oven?
Should I bag it when I put it in the oven. 

Thanks everyone.

TedEbear

You might browse through the Poultry section of the forum.  Lots of tips on smoking turkey in there.

Thank you for your service.

Wildcat

Last year I smoked at 250 f for 2 or 3 hours then cooked at 350 until done. Turned out perfect. I used a pellet pooper but could do the same with a Bradley and house oven. I used oak only because I did not have apple pellets.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tyrodsports

Quote from: Wildcat on November 18, 2015, 04:53:11 PM
Last year I smoked at 250 f for 2 or 3 hours then cooked at 350 until done. Turned out perfect. I used a pellet pooper but could do the same with a Bradley and house oven. I used oak only because I did not have apple pellets.

Good to know since I picked up apple for this.  I was curious what hickory or mesquite would do to the meat, but think I will play it safe.

tyrodsports

Quote from: TedEbear on November 18, 2015, 07:09:49 AM
You might browse through the Poultry section of the forum.  Lots of tips on smoking turkey in there.

Thank you for your service.

Thank you...I plowed through their but didnt see what I was specifically looking for.  It is a great repository of other information.  And thanks for the thanks.

Wildcat

Look at the bottom of my post. You will see a link to the recipe site. There will be skme info on there. I would not use the strong woods on birds unless you like a strong heavy smoke flavor.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/