Started by icerat4, August 16, 2006, 02:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

robs

Use liquid smoke. Sorry Icerat - you know I had to. :P

TomG

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 14, 2004, 01:50:55 AM
I just read the section of Smoked Meats in Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking; The Science and Lore of the Kitchen." He basically states that smoking preserves the surface of the meat, and kills or inhibits the growth of microbes (bacteria).  During cold smoking, smoke vapors are deposited on the surface of meat, as much as seven times faster then when you are hot smoking

I haven't read the book but have no reason to believe that Hab's quote is not accurate.  That being the case it would seem that 1 hour of cold smoking is the equivalent of 7 hours of hot smoking.  The practical implications are that you might need only 1 puck cold smoking for each 7 pucks hot smoking. ::) ::)

Habanero Smoker

As Olds has posted many times; the smoke flavor should not over power the other flavors. You should be able to distinguish most flavors.

Cold smoking can increase smoke flavor. Also the lower temperature you smoke at the more effective the application of smoke will be. The drier the surface of the product at the beginning of smoking; the better smoke will adhere and penetrate. You can always increase smoking times. Or experiment with different woods.

What is your end goal?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

Good one robs  ;D. I like that. One back at me. Im AM ON the floor rolling laughing too funny. :D.NICE

robs

I just want to taste alot of smoke. I've been doing 4-5 hours on a brisket and I can hardly taste the smoke. I allways preheat to 225 and leave at 225 until finished. I think that temperature at the begining of the smoking process is key here.

Smudge

Wow I can't believe anyone can't get good smoke flavoring. I'm the opposite I guess, I find I'm using the two hour smoking for most things, and still feel its overpowering at times.

Just a reminder, smoking anything once the internal temperature of the meat is 140 and above is non-productive. One is merely burning pucks IMO. 

robs

Quote from: Smudge on August 17, 2006, 06:33:38 PM
Wow I can't believe anyone can't get good smoke flavoring. I'm the opposite I guess, I find I'm using the two hour smoking for most things, and still feel its overpowering at times.

Just a reminder, smoking anything once the internal temperature of the meat is 140 and above is non-productive. One is merely burning pucks IMO. 

Good post. I guess everyone has different tastes? Or is it that I'm using hickory? Maybe I need something stronger.

Is it internal temp of 140 or surface temp of 140?

asa

Surface temp of 140, I'm told. That's where the smoke flavoring deposits, clings, adheres, or whatever it does.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

TomG

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 17, 2006, 03:03:32 AM
What is your end goal?

Ahh!!  I Want to be as good looking as the Icerat ??? ??? ???

Oldman

QuoteAs Olds has posted many times; the smoke flavor should not over power the other flavors.

My opinion only... Smoke should be looked upon like salt and pepper. They enhance not distroy the nature flavoring of the product being smoked.

QuoteI just want to taste alot of smoke. I've been doing 4-5 hours on a brisket and I can hardly taste the smoke.
Use Mesquite. It so strong some folks here call it the Devil's wood.

QuoteWow I can't believe anyone can't get good smoke flavoring. I'm the opposite I guess, I find I'm using the two hour smoking for most things, and still feel its overpowering at times.
I totally agree.

QuoteOr is it that I'm using hickory? Maybe I need something stronger.
Try Alder as it a milder smoke and has a nice flavoring to it.

When we have tried cold smokin' of meat for the grill we have not been impressed at all. That was until we went to an hour or less of smoke.... as stated different strokes for different folks.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

icerat4

I think this all goes back to personal taste buds.Each and everyone is different .Kinda like a finger print. ;D  .Me and robs will just toss some liquid smoke on our stuff if we need more smoke LOL  :D.

Smudge

It seems to me that if more smoke flavoring is desired you need to lay off the high heat in the early part of the cooking process. 

robs

Im trying the lower heat towards the begining on the next few smokes.

If that doesn't work, I'm filling the water bowl with liquid smoke. Im kidding.
:P

robs

Help me out guys. Here's what I did on my last smoke:
- 5lb brisket
- hickory pucks
- First 5 hours: smoke generator only (15 pucks). Maintained heat under 140 f.
- heat up to 225 after the 5 hour mark

Result:
- Absolutely no smoke tastes whatsoever. I've had multiple people verify this.
- Brisket has about 1/16 inch brown layer around the edges. That 1/16 of an inch tastes a little bit like smoke.

I'm at a loss. It can't just be that I'm using hickory, or they wouldn't make hickory pucks. I've even tried not using a rub, thinking that it may be preventing the smoke from penetrating the meat.

When I empty the water bowl, the pucks are just a little brown on the inside yet. Do you think that they aren't burning all the way? This is just some of the pucks. Some are also completely black.

HELP!!!!!
rob