2-step smoking pork butt

Started by Pistol Pete, September 10, 2016, 07:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistol Pete

Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.

I am smoking an 8# butt for my grandson's birthday early tomorrow afternoon.  I thought I remember reading about mostly smoking it today, Saturday and then finishing it tomorrow instead of finishing it today and re-heating it tomorrow.  Getting up at 0 dark thirty tomorrow is an option but I would like to explore an alternative.  I have re-heating posts from members.

If this is a stupid idea, lay it on me.  This ain't my first rodeo but its the first time without the makeup and the barrel.

Pete

TedEbear

My suggestion is that once you start to smoke/cook it, finish doing so.  I've never heard of cooking one halfway and then finishing it the next day.  To me, a pork butt tastes better a day or two later when it is reheated than one right out of the smoker anyway.

TMB

I would NOT cook half way then finish.  The meat would be in the danger zone and that's not good

Best just to finish pull then place in a bag then in the fridge.     Reheat with a crock pot and add a little apple juice.

I have cooked over 130 butts with my infrared cookers and over 10 in my Bradley and i pull and bag every time or vacuum seal then freeze
Never a bad butt ;)   
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Pistol Pete

I don't know where TedEBear is from but if you're from Ablahama your advise is substantiated.   I will smoke to 203°F, pull, and reheat tomorrow. Muchas Gracias (That's Spanish!)

beefmann

i would say complete the cook, then reheat, it may take longer though over all safer in the  long run and out of the danger zone.