Cold smoked marlin

Started by Smokeville, November 23, 2016, 07:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Hello all,

I just got back from vacation in Saint Lucia and had some amazing smoked marlin. I know it was cured and cold smoked because of the texture... it sliced super thin like gravlax.

I'm thinking of buying several marlin "steaks" which are easy to get fresh here in Ontario, then make it the same way. Salt, sugar, black pepper and some herbs.

Any thoughts? I've seen the older posts about hot smoking marlin but I'm hoping to match what I had last week.....

Thanks, Rich

Salmonsmoker

Smokeville, If you can search through the recipe section you'll find a lox recipe by SpyGuy. I've used it and it's excellent.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tskeeter

I was thinking the same thing.  Spyguy's lox recipe.  By all the reports that I've seen, it is excellent.

Smokeville

I've got the marlin curing and it will be ready Friday about noon.

Results and perhaps tears to follow.

Smokeville

Big success.

I have photos. I don't use Photobucket anymore. Can I set up links to my google photos?

Habanero Smoker

Photobucket is beginning to frustrate me, so I've been looking into other options. My understanding is you should be able to link the photo by;

1- Go to the image you want to provide a direct link to.

2- Right click on the image. A menu will appear. From the menu, choose either "Copy" or "Copy Image URL", or "Copy Image Location". The wording will depend on the type of browser you are using. This will copy the image url.

3- Next inside the message you want to post the photo; click on "Insert Image" (it's the first icon in the second row), the use paste to insert the copied url into your message.

Hope this helps.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokeville

Son of a marlin gun, it works........

Smokeville

Thanks, HS, you are great!!!!! Even the best google search I could do did not reveal that one!

The recipe was one I found on the internet by searching "cured marlin".

2 lbs marlin
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup brown sugar

I adjusted the amounts for weight, and added coarse ground black pepper and about 1 teaspoon of dill seed.

Covered the steaks both sides, weighed down with a zip-lock water bottle, and 24 hours later they were ready.

Perhaps less salt next time. And dill would not be my choice next time either.....

Rich

Habanero Smoker

Hi Rich;

Glad that the cured marlin was a success.

I cannot see the picture, though it may be due to my anti virus setting, or browser settings. I looked at the link, and could not find anything that would look like a image file. Such as something ending with .jpg, or some other image file extension.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokeville

That's odd. It shows up for me. I use Chrome and I wonder if that somehow allows it.

I'll try with *gasp* *horrors* Internet Explorer and see what it shows.

Yes, it works ONLY with Chrome. Too bad.

Smokeville

Habanero Smoker

It's probably explorer. I'll try it with Firefox. I'm beginning to think Microsoft is sabotaging Explorer to force people to use Edge. :) Explorer 11 has been really unstable in the last couple of months.

It looks good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokeville

Back in the old DOS days, the slogan at Microsoft was "DOS isn't done until Lotus won't run."

cherrybergher

For what it's worth I had to click the direct link also.  The Marlin looks amazing, very nice
BDS 4 Rack
"Improving the flavour of our lives one smokey day at a time"