Cutting brisket

Started by Piker, April 10, 2017, 06:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

Can I cut my brisket into two pieces before I start to smoke as it is too big for my Bradley? Thks

rexster

Separate the point and flat, put the point over the flat in the Bradley. The point cut will baste the flat cut while cooking
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Ka Honu

You can also "fold" the brisket in the middle to make it fit (as shown here) - shrinkage will straighten it out as is cooks.

Piker

Thanks guys as I had two large briskets I tried both ways. Will be done in about 1 hr. Will let you know how they work out. They have an I.t. Of 155f right now. Piker
  Just took them out I.t. Of 168f looking great even smells better into the few mode cannot wait to try it.

TedEbear

Quote from: Piker on April 10, 2017, 12:54:04 PM
  Just took them out I.t. Of 168f looking great even smells better into the few mode cannot wait to try it.

Hmm...an IT of 168*F is not done for a brisket temp.  That thing is going to be rather tough.  Most briskets are done somewhere between 190-205*F, the higher the more tender.  At 168, it is still going through its stall, where the magic happens.  Still edible, just not as tender as it would have gotten if left to cook to a higher temp.

Understanding and Beating the Barbecue Stall, Bane of All Barbecuers, and How it Helps Create "Bark"

Piker

It was very tender almost like pulled pork. You realize I dry aged this brisket for 35 days in thr fridge. It makes a real difference. I also left more fat on this one and it was the moistest one I ever cooked. Has anyone have new ideas to do brisket as I have six left and that many more coming in June. Thks Piker

Habanero Smoker

Here is how I would prepare them occasionally, especially if I was serving buffet style. The brisket does not dry out when sitting in a buffet line.

Smoked Brisket with Onion Sauce
The flat only was used in this recipe, but a whole brisket can be easily substituted.

As mentioned in other threads, you could cure it to make corned beef, and/or after making corned beef you can then make pastrami.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: Piker on April 11, 2017, 06:41:23 AM
It was very tender almost like pulled pork. You realize I dry aged this brisket for 35 days in thr fridge. It makes a real difference. I also left more fat on this one and it was the moistest one I ever cooked. Has anyone have new ideas to do brisket as I have six left and that many more coming in June. Thks Piker

Ahh...OK, I didn't know aging it made that much of a difference in tenderness.  I just finished an overnight smoke of an 8lb brisket.  It took around 13 hours, not including a 4 hour FTC.  I vac sealed and aged it in the fridge for 8 days.  I would have done it longer but that was all the advance notice I had before today's event.  Hopefully, it will be enough to help with the tenderness. 

I cooked it to an IT of 196*F, at a chamber temp of 210*F.  It took nearly 5 hours to go through the stall between 158-170.  After that, I put it in a pan, added about 1/2" of beef broth and sealed the pan tightly with foil.  I'm not much of a brisket guru, so I'm hoping it turns out nice and tender later this evening.

rexster

Ahh...OK, I didn't know aging it made that much of a difference in tenderness.  I just finished an overnight smoke of an 8lb brisket.  It took around 13 hours, not including a 4 hour FTC.  I vac sealed and aged it in the fridge for 8 days.  I would have done it longer but that was all the advance notice I had before today's event.  Hopefully, it will be enough to help with the tenderness. 

I cooked it to an IT of 196*F, at a chamber temp of 210*F.  It took nearly 5 hours to go through the stall between 158-170.  After that, I put it in a pan, added about 1/2" of beef broth and sealed the pan tightly with foil.  I'm not much of a brisket guru, so I'm hoping it turns out nice and tender later this evening.
[/quote]

The only thing I disagree with is adding beef broth and sealing it up. That destroys the bark on the brisket, making it into a roast
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Piker

I forgot to mention that I was making pastrami out of one of the briskets and it turned out very good.   The plain brisket was very tender after the ftw for 3hrs. But thanks for all the advice I can't wait to try them all out. I am doing a bourbon pork loin for thanksgiving. It's something I have never done but looks very interesting. You cut a loin almost in half sprinkle brown sugar a little whiskey leave it for a while then lay bacon along the loin so on a 4  lb. loin you would have abut 4 to 5 slices of bacon along it . I plan on doing it in the smoker until done with a couple hrs. of smoke. There is also a glaze to rub on if you want. I may cut a whole loin in half and do one of each. Piker

Habanero Smoker

Though I no longer use the Bradley to smoke/cook my briskets anymore, when I do briskets, I now finish them by placing it in a pan, adding some broth, and sealing.  At the stage this takes place, it may soften the bark, but not destroy it. I've never had one turn out tasting like pot roast, when they are cooked this way.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Johnny

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 13, 2017, 01:44:44 PM

Though I no longer use the Bradley to smoke/cook my briskets anymore, when I do briskets, I now finish them by placing it in a pan, adding some broth, and sealing.  At the stage this takes place, it may soften the bark, but not destroy it. I've never had one turn out tasting like pot roast, when they are cooked this way.
I have to agree with you Habs on this one, That taste nothing like a pot roast!  If anything I would prefer the bark this way, not so overpowering when softened a little.