Blazin Pistachios Drying Method

Started by jiggerjams, May 27, 2017, 10:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

After the smoke how do you dry out the nuts? I am thinking in the oven and thinking about 275.

Any help is appreciated.

JJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

The 275°F temperature is a good temperature to dry them at. I generally will set the oven to 300°F, watching closely, and stirring them several times during the drying process. I take the nuts out while they are slightly still moist to the touch; but that is my preference. I don't like them too dry.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jiggerjams

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 28, 2017, 02:08:15 AM
The 275°F temperature is a good temperature to dry them at. I generally will set the oven to 300°F, watching closely, and stirring them several times during the drying process. I take the nuts out while they are slightly still moist to the touch; but that is my preference. I don't like them too dry.
Thanks for the feedback it worked out great. I am like you and not like the nuts too crunchie.

Thanks again

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome. You got me thinking of making these again. I'm going to do a batch in a couple of weeks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jiggerjams

Habs!! I hope all is well. Did you get a load of nuts in? Do share if you did.

Cheers to ya!

Habanero Smoker

I needed the nuts for the weekend of June 24th. I waited too long before purchasing the nuts. During the time that I needed to smoke them I couldn't find pistachios sold in the quantities I needed. I could only find just small snack bags. I ended up purchasing raw almonds, brining them, and making Smoked Candied Almonds. I brined and smoked them first. Then coated them and finished in the kitchen oven, at 300°F. They came out alright, but almonds need to be watch more closely. I roasted them a little longer than I would have liked, and they were a tad on the dry side, but edible. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jiggerjams

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 06, 2017, 01:40:38 AM
I needed the nuts for the weekend of June 24th. I waited too long before purchasing the nuts. During the time that I needed to smoke them I couldn't find pistachios sold in the quantities I needed. I could only find just small snack bags. I ended up purchasing raw almonds, brining them, and making Smoked Candied Almonds. I brined and smoked them first. Then coated them and finished in the kitchen oven, at 300°F. They came out alright, but almonds need to be watch more closely. I roasted them a little longer than I would have liked, and they were a tad on the dry side, but edible.
Those sound Good! Do you do spices like cinnamon when candying the almonds?

Gafala

Here's where I buy my bulk nuts they have every kind that I use price is a little high but the quality is very good, when I do almonds I buy 25lbs they last a little longer then buying small lots. I have been using them for over 4 years and no problems.

https://www.nutstop.com/

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: jiggerjams on July 06, 2017, 07:53:45 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 06, 2017, 01:40:38 AM
Those sound Good! Do you do spices like cinnamon when candying the almonds?

You can use any spices you like. I have used cinnamon, but for the last couple of batches I've made I've used the below recipe; I believe the original recipe came from Serious Eats. I also made these last Christmas, and used cashews. People couldn't get enough of them.

Smoked Candied Almond

Ingredients
•   1/2 cup dark brown sugar
•   2 teaspoons kosher salt
•   1 teaspoon smoked paprika (plain paprika or Hugarian paprika if using smoked almonds)
•   1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
•   1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
•   1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•   1 large egg white
•   4 cups raw  skin-on almonds (about 1 1/4 pounds); cashews also work great with this recipe.

Directions
Preheat oven to 300°F, position rack in middle position, and grease a rimmed baking sheet with oil or nonstick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, salt, paprika, cayenne, Old Bay, and black pepper.

In a large bowl, lightly beat egg white until slightly foamy. Stir in spiced sugar until a smooth batter forms (it will start out looking dry but will loosen as you stir).

Fold in almonds until evenly coated. Spread glazed almonds in a single even layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake until nuts are lightly toasted, about 25 minutes. The nuts will still be sticky, but will harden as they cool.

Let cool, stirring nuts every few minutes to prevent sticking - but don't start stirring too soon. Once cool, break up any remaining clumps and serve. Nuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.

As for brining, I only brine Almonds, the other nuts seem to have enough oils to keep them from drying out.

Brining Almond
1/2 C Morton Kosher Salt
4 C water

Bring kosher salt, and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve salt. Add almonds and remove from heat; cover and let sit 24 hours. You can also add herbs and spices while making the brine

Quote from: Gafala on July 06, 2017, 09:08:53 PM
Here's where I buy my bulk nuts they have every kind that I use price is a little high but the quality is very good, when I do almonds I buy 25lbs they last a little longer then buying small lots. I have been using them for over 4 years and no problems.

https://www.nutstop.com/

Thanks! I've booked marked the site. In the future I'm going to plan farther ahead.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jiggerjams

That's awesome a nice sweet spicy nut. This will be my next venture for my mother.

Thanks so much!!