Remote Thermometers...Who has what?

Started by MallardWacker, July 19, 2004, 05:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

After my second Polder went to the crapper this weekend and only being a month old, I thought it may be a good Idea to have everyone weigh in on what type of thermometers they use and what kind of luck they are having with them and where they purchased them.  When you look at them in the store they all seem to have the same probe, it almost looks like one company makes them all and they just put different name plates on them.  I know there is comments strung out through the board on this matter but it would be nice to have one thread dedicated to this.  If no one is interested, I will delete this thread after a couple of days.

My first Polder[:(!] was a single probe and timer model 601-90, lasted only six months.  Purchased from "Bed and Bath" locally.  $20.00

My second Polder[:(!][:(!] was a single probe but hid two sensors on it, one for the meat and the other for the smoker temp, model 894-90. Purchased in the same place for about $35.00 lasted only one month.

My third Polder[:(!][:(!][:(!], and probably my last, a single probe. (This is all they had and it was the only one I could exchange it for. Plus I needed one badly do to the fact I had 22lbs of brisket in the BS at the time)

In skimming around the web, I noticed that someone mentioned about getting the probe too wet an it may cause poor performance.  The second Polder I was very careful not to submerge the probe(basicly I only used it once anyway) and it still took a dump.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

MW,
My next purchase will probally be a Mavrick.  I have heard nothing but good stuff about them.  The one I have know works o.k. but isn't as flexable.  Have a link on a good price on them.  I would just make sure you find out if you can set the meat temp for whatever you want not just preset temps for rare/med etc.  Happy Q'ing.
//www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Jeff,

I have heard that name batted around.  Below is a link to a site, the prices are not that good but it has a listing for Maverick, Oregon Scientific, Polder[V], and Chaney.  Many of them just look the same, the probes look the same, I just want to find one that will work longer than six months and is some what accurate.  I wonder if anyone else has used any of theses others?

http://store.everythinghome.org/elfopr.html

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Bassman

MW,
I have a Maverick Redi-Chek with 2 probes. There was a bad batch earlier in the year but they resolved that problem. I absolutley love it. It is a remote thermometer. I bought one last Dec. It crapped out right after the 6 mo. warranty was up. I e-mailed Maverick and they replaced it at no charge, even out of warranty.[:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Fuzzybear

Ditto me on the Bassman -

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

bologna man

MallardWacker
I have tried many of the digital thermos not much problem except with the Maverick ET-72 remote. What happens to this is that I set it up and I can read the remote in the house, but then in about 1/2 hour I lose the smoker or remote reading, then I have to go through getting the base unit to see the remote again what a pain. Maverick says this is good for 50 feet and I am only 25 feet away.
As for the probes they work on resistance so they may look the same and plug into the same jack but the readings will be different. And also I do know that getting the probe wet or over heating the stainless wire mesh will destroy the reading of the unit. You see the stainless steel is just a shield for some very small wires and if the insulation melts on these wires there is a short.

Rod

nsxbill

You can get a Maverick on sale at the following location:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/kitchenhome/marechrethti.html

If you put "July" in the coupon section it will get you an additional 5% off.  Total delivered just a bit over $40.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Eat This

well since I get my bonus check this week for my NEW smoker I need the accessories to go with it. After looking at these links I dont mind another $20.00 if Im gonna buy another $20.00 in 6 months. Here is my ANAL RETENTIVE question which model....on these links I have seen the ET7 the ET72 and the ET73....which ones were the problem ones?

bighoof

I have the ET-73, so far it works great, I've found the smoker probe is a little slow to react to different temps, but the food probe reacts faster. I also use it to monitor the oil in my deep fryer. Don't know what model had problems, I got mine from Northern tool.

Bassman

I have the ET-73

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Tominator

ET-73....the off/on switch on the receiver did not work Quick call to Maverick and a new one is on the way. Great service![:D]

<font color="red">Where there's smoke....there's meat!</font id="red">

MallardWacker

Folks,

Thanks for the input, It seems if I get the Maverick and something happends it seems I might a bit of recourse.  Going down to the local store and dealing with a teenager who doesn't even know what it is, thats not my favorite thing to do.  Next month, Maverick it is.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Eat This

I see Bradley offers their own thermometer.....anybody used it? Its digital...looks like 1 probe.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/products/accessories/digitherm.htm

kirk

curttate

I puchased the Taylor Professional Digital Thermometer/Timer from Amazon.com  for $16.99.   Spend a few more bucks on another item and you get free shipping. Features:

Remotely displays food's temperatures and time elapsed while it's cooking
Programmable control panel for cooking by precise temperature or time
Alarm sounds when cooking time or desired temperature reached
Stainless-steel probe goes into food, 4-foot cord leads to thermometer
Folds for compact storage; magnetic back for mounting on metal surface

kjel

Got my new maverick today w/ dual probes.  Wow! what a toy.  It'll come in handy when I start smoking my 4 pork butts tonight.  I'll be able to sleep in my own bed tonight instead of on the couch and running out to check temp. A decent nights rest and pulled pork in A.M. is worth $40.

My question is.... does anyone calibrate their maverick before every smoke?  Or does anyone calibrate the thermometer at all?