An unwanted guest -- ERNESTO

Started by Oldman, August 27, 2006, 12:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

From what I've been following on the news up here it looks like you might get lucky Old's. Sure hope so. Carolina might not be so lucky though. Best of luck ole boy!

Oldman

8pm Wed.. it is only 35 mph winds... no damage anywhere as I understand it. Yet September and October are our worse months for storms... Even though I've spent 10s of thousands getting ready I pray it is money spent by a fool....

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Now it is headed up my way to ruin my weekend. There are several models, but it looks like heavy rain and winds 30-45 mph for Saturday.

It's always best to prepare. You have me thinking about disaster planning. After seeing that power can go out in NYC and not be restored for a full week; 10 days in some areas, I live upstate and I can't chance the power going out for a week in the middle of winter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

begolf25

Habs,

I know the feeling.  We haven't had rain here in about a month.  Now it looks like we are going to get it all at once on a holiday weekend..  The rain is supposed to move out of here by Saturday night.  Hopefully we will at least have nice weather Sunday and Monday.  But you never know.

icerat4

All i can say, is i  am glad i live in illinois.Good luck with all these storms guys. ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Oldman

Quote from: icerat4 on August 31, 2006, 08:07:05 AM
All i can say, is i  am glad i live in illinois.Good luck with all these storms guys. ;)

All I can say is our house value has increase from 45K to a plus 250K in 15 years. Total taxes on it is less than 1000.00. We have no State Income Tax. Water, sewage and garbage is about 60 bucks per month. The value of our home will continue to grow at an accelerated rate as there are 250,000 people per year moving into this state.

Ya we have storms and the cost of insurance is up; however, storms are like gators... you learn how to live with them or get eaten!   ;);D

Olds 

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

begolf25

Quote from: Oldman on August 31, 2006, 08:28:33 AM
Quote from: icerat4 on August 31, 2006, 08:07:05 AM

All I can say is our house value has increase from 45K to a plus 250K in 15 years. Total taxes on it is less than 1000.00. We have no State Income Tax. Water, sewage and garbage is about 60 bucks per month. The value of our home will continue to grow at an accelerated rate as there are 250,000 people per year moving into this state.

Ya we have storms and the cost of insurance is up; however, storms are like gators... you learn how to live with them or get eaten!   ;);D

Olds 

That's one thing I love about where I live just across the Maryland boarder.  The value of our house continues to grow as the commuters continue to move from Maryland into PA since the housing prices in the Baltimore and DC metro areas are ridiculous.  Nice thing is we only need to worry about the occasional snow storm and not a storm that could take our house and everything else with it.

My brothers live in Coconut Creek, right near Fort Lauderdale, and I love to visit but I would miss the seasonal changes of the Northeast.

icerat4

YEPPER .MY Dad want me to buy a house down there.Its a good possibilty.I could be your neighbor olds.Now that would be real funny.I could come over and smoke butts together.LOL ;D. 1000 in taxes wow mine are 5000 plus.Maybe i should consider this more.You will have to show me how to fend off the gators though.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Oldman

QuoteMY Dad want me to buy a house down there.Its a good possibility.I could be your neighbor olds. Now that would be real funny.
AH H*ll there goes the neighborhood.

QuoteYou will have to show me how to fend off the gators though.
That is easy... get 5 pounds of marshmellows, kneel at the water edge and feed the gators... before you know it you will have them eating out of your hand. Right up until the time you run out of marshmellows.  Have you ever heard of the "other" white meat?  ::)

IKnowWood

Bryan

Hope all went ok with you with ERNESTO.    We had some steady winds starting Thursday late night and all day Friday.  We ended up with from 2 to 4 inches of Rain.  No other issues at all.   Areas around us had more rain.  We drove this Saturday morning and most of the winds were gone from Eastern Shore MD thru Annapolis and down to Southern Md.  Still spotty rain but nothing to worry about. 

IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Habanero Smoker

We got very little rain, but the wind did us in. A lot of downed trees knocked out the power is a large area, but fortunately the power was restores an hour ago after being out for 22 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Oldman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 03, 2006, 02:07:24 PM
We got very little rain, but the wind did us in. A lot of downed trees knocked out the power is a large area, but fortunately the power was restores an hour ago after being out for 22 hours.

Ouch!

IKnowWood

Habs

Good to hear you got back up and on the grid.  that is the fear I have.  We are out in Rural area surounded by farm lands.  Our community has burried lines, but the network to get to us is surounded by large trees all over the place.  We have indeed had issues in the past.  We dodge them all the time, the winds blow on the Eastern DelMarVa all the time.  I have lost equipment recently and will have other issues in the future.  Local Hardware Shop is always ready on Dry Ice and Emergency Distribution.  We almost took them on Dry Ice several years ago but got back online in time.

Good thing you are up and running.  Did you make it Ok otherwise.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Habanero Smoker

Every thing is alright, I can't complain when I think of those who are still homeless from Katrina and previous storms. Also, like you, I live in the middle of no wheres, and when the grid goes down, we are one of the last to get back on line, so 22 hours I call fortunate, it is usually about 3 days. These days 22 hours is a pain for me. I'm going to purchase a generator. I wanted to purchase one that runs on propane, but that will be latter. For now I am going to buy a gasoline operated one that will provide power for the refrigerator, furnace, some lights; if there is some juice left over I'll hook up the TV. :)

Our power company is required to provide dry ice if the power is out for a certain length of time. The last couple of outages they did not do this.  I'll have to give them a call to find out how long the power needs to be out before they provide it. They bring tractor trailers of the dry ice to various areas, like a sub station, mall or other central locations, and you go and pick it up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

begolf25

Quote from: IKnowWood on September 02, 2006, 06:15:27 PM
Bryan

Hope all went ok with you with ERNESTO.    We had some steady winds starting Thursday late night and all day Friday.  We ended up with from 2 to 4 inches of Rain.  No other issues at all.   Areas around us had more rain.  We drove this Saturday morning and most of the winds were gone from Eastern Shore MD thru Annapolis and down to Southern Md.  Still spotty rain but nothing to worry about. 

We had it about the same here.  A few inches of rain and a few gusts of wind.  We lucked out, no kind of damage and never lost power.  Just had to pick up a few blown over trash cans.  Everything has moved out and it looks like we are in store for a beautiful Labor Day.  Picking up a bushel of crabs around noon and having some family over.  Hope every has a great Labor Day.