An unwanted guest -- ERNESTO

Started by Oldman, August 27, 2006, 12:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Well, apparently the tail end of this hurricane hits us tomorrow with gale force 8 to severe gale force 9 with possible gusts to 80mph. A severe weather warning has been issued by the UK meteorological office........... took my boat off it's mooring at the weekend and into shelter and my lobster pots ashore.

I blame the Americans!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;)
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: manxman on September 19, 2006, 08:17:40 AM
Well, apparently the tail end of this hurricane hits us tomorrow with gale force 8 to severe gale force 9 with possible gusts to 80mph. A severe weather warning has been issued by the UK meteorological office........... took my boat off it's mooring at the weekend and into shelter and my lobster pots ashore.

I blame the Americans!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;)
Ann and I will keep our fingers crossed Manx. Best of luck man! ;)

IKnowWood

Man, talk about cause and effect.  Got to remember that next time I cut wind in a north easterly direction.

seriously, manxman good luck with the wind and hears to hoping no damage.  Make sure to strap up any outside items such as they do not become projectiles.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

manxman

Thanks folks, we tend to get cut off from the UK "mainland" on a few occasions over the autumn/winter with cancelled ferry sailings and flights.... tomorrow is likely to be the first such occasion.

Fortunately we do not tend to get the catastrophic hurricanes prevalent in parts of the US at this time of year, it normally stops short at violent storm force 11.

Having said that just love watching the waves crashing against the rocky coastline.
Manxman

Kummok

Quote from: manxman on September 19, 2006, 03:14:49 PM
.......Having said that just love watching the waves crashing against the rocky coastline.

Now THAT'S the strength of experience!! 8)   BTW Manx.....don't blame Americans, blame Bush/Blair...they get blamed by the media over here for EVERYTHING anyway!!  ;) ;D

IKnowWood

Its those Butterflies in Africa that flap their wings and kick-up the storms.   Yeah that's it.

I got a previous co-worker who enjoys going to New England coastline during August and September time frame when the storms are really kicking up the waves to surf and wind-surf.  Yeah - nuts.  But he is a free spirit.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

manxman

QuoteBTW Manx.....don't blame Americans, blame Bush/Blair...they get blamed by the media over here for EVERYTHING anyway!!

Seems fair to me Kummock!  :D

This time a couple of years ago I lost my boat off the mooring and onto rocks in a violent storm, I was VERY lucky with only a few hundred £/$'s worth of damage. The boats that have come off their moorings before and after have been total loses.

Consequently I get very jumpy this time of year when the boat is still in the water!! :o

edit: appears to be the tail end of Hurricane Gordon coming in as I type, with the tail end of Hurricane Helene to follow in a few days..... deep joy! Appears I was unfair to blame America after all!!
Manxman