Smoking uncured Antelope Bratwurst

Started by jgolfnguy8, March 10, 2021, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgolfnguy8

I had these bratwursts made from my antelope this last season.  I found out they didn't use any form of cure and I was warned against "Cold Smoking" them due to the low temps etc.  I know they should be cooked to 160 degrees.  My question is... can I hot smoke them (at about 200 degrees) to about 140 degrees and then freeze them?  I would then thaw them out and finish them on the grill to 160?  Is this safe?   Thanks

Habanero Smoker

The USDA recommends not using a temperature lower than 225°F; while other credible sources state you can use a temperature as low as 180°F. I'm sure this is based on a smoker that can recover quickly, and get the temperature up to the recommended smoking temperature in a quick time. Due to the low wattage, 500w plus the added wattage of the bisquette burner; of the Bradley I wouldn't use a temperature setting lower than 225°F, and fully cook them.

I'm not familiar with antelope, and what is a safe temperature to cook to, but for ground beef or pork sausage is safe fully cooked would be an internal of 152°F. When I make, what I call "Brown & Serve" sausage, I will fully smoke/cook them to 152°F (I have even taken them to 160°F), then freeze them for later. Thaw before reheating. To reheat: small diameter sausage (under 25mm) I will reheat at high heat, over a stove or grill. Larger sausages (32 - 35mm) I will start with low heat, then when heated through, brown at high heat. If I'm reheating a large batch of sausage, I will reheat at a low oven temperature, then brown at high heat on a grill or oven top.  Many times, if I'm only reheating one or two sausages at a time I will heat them in a microwave until warm, then finish at high heat on the stove. I will use the microwave at high, starting using 20 seconds at a time - then decreasing the time to 10 seconds. Repeat as much as necessary, until the sausage is heated through. Then brown them at high heat in a pan over the stove.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jgolfnguy8

Thanks for the info.  Antelope is the same as any other red meat for cooking.  You answered my question about smoking and reheating.  Thank You