Have Brisket, Will Travel?

Started by Kalamazoo, August 14, 2020, 08:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalamazoo

I smoking a 13lb brisket that will be done this evening. I plan to bring it to my nieces graduation tomorrow, which is a 6 hour drive. My plan is this...smoke to 195 internal temp, FTC for a couple hours, keep wrapped and put in fridge. In AM put in crock pot in car, in foil, and run at warm or low for the drive. should be warm by arrival?
Is any part of this wishful thinking or a bad idea (spoilage, etc)? Thanks in advance!

Habanero Smoker

If you can fit the entire wrapped brisket in the crock pot you should be fine. Maybe put a cup of water in the crockpot. The ideal safe internal temperature for reheated food is 165°F.

When storing smoked foods in the refrigerator for any length of time, I will wrap the meat in plastic wrap first, then cover with foil. I find that the acids in the smoke react to the aluminum foil. Often you will see the foil discolored, and depending on how long the foil has been in contact with the meat, it may cause pit holes in the foil.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

forwardres

Sorry I saw your question so late! I recommend that you transfer the cooked brisket to a glass mold and wrap it well in a few bags to keep it warm if there is no place to heat it up. I hope everything worked out for you and your nephew had a great prom. My daughter is going on a trip to Europe with her friend after graduation, and we have already booked her train tickets at dbauskunft.com and a hotel. I think it's excellent practice for teens to take a gap year and see the world. What does your nephew do after high school?

ThirdImpact

When you're smoking a brisket at 225°F on your Bradley smoker, you should have an average cook rate of about 1 pound per hour. If you don't want to wait around that long but still want to cook it low and slow, then consider wrapping it and increasing the internal temperature that way. Wrapping a brisket can be a great way to save some fuel in the process while also leveraging the physics behind wrapping a piece of meat. I did the same thing when I had to go to another city on the same day. I didn't know what to do, but this site helped me https://www.montaregio.de/de/ to find the best solution for everything.

Habanero Smoker

At 225°F, nine hours for a 13 lb. brisket is doable, though a tight time frame; and that is if your cooker has a fast recovery. For the Bradley smokers; both digital and original models, you may want to use a time guestimate of 90 minutes per pound.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)