Smoking In The Hotel Room...

Started by owrstrich, July 25, 2004, 09:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

i got my bs from chez bubba when i was in iowa a few weeks ago and brought it to the west coast where i travel for my job... staying in hotels 340 days a year...

i got the bs because im a low carber and after seeing bubbas setup at the indy 500... i was sold...

anyway... i have not been at the same hotel for an extended stay until today and i just had to fire it up... but there is no secure outdoor area here...

im got a top floor corner room at the extended stay america in beaverton oregon... windows on two sides... being 104 degrees here during the day i waited until night to fire it up...

i got a 8lb brisket and two 6lb pork shoulders and rubbed them down and let them set out for a couple hours before starting...

i sat the bs under the window and made a cardboard hood that covered the entire top of the bs with the window side open so the smoke would go out the window...

after about 30 minutes the smoke started coming in the room and i was thinking the smoke detector or the sprinklers might go off... i had a box fan in my work van so i set it up in the window opening of the box and my problem was solved... no smoke and no smoke odor in the room or hallway...

i messed around with the fan and box to make sure i was not creating negative pressure sucking the smoke out of the bs... after some r&d im confident the fan is causing no adverse conditions in the bs and the hotel room...

i went outside to see how noticable the smoke was coming for the window... now im thinking someone may call the fire department because a flood light is shining on the window and there is a constant stream lots of smoke...

so here i am at 1am... 3 hours into the cook... maintaining a constant 200 degrees and 6 more hours of pucks in the tube... i got the alarm set at 170 degrees and will pull the shoulders out when the alarm goes off and keep the brisket going to 190 degrees... or when the fire department knocks on my door... for now im going to sleep... driving up from red bluff california and this smoking in the hotel room project has me wore down...

the milwaukee indycar race starts in 9 hours... hopefully we will have the b&s combo... brisket & shoulder combo ...

more later...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

nsxbill

What an adventure!  Hope only good things for you and your brisket!  I don't know how well the BS will hold up if the sprinklers go off!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Fuzzybear

WHeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  Clang! Clang! Clang! Ding! Ding! Ding! - Hey, there's a fire in that guy's room!

How cool is that hauling the BS with you!  Good luck and I hope you don't get kicked out of the room - maybe you can make a deal with the kitchen??

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

owrstrich

the extended stay americas have kitchens... i would not have attampted an in room smoke if this was not a cooking hotel...

at 7am the 160 degree alarm woke me up... i turned the smoke unit off and opened the damper wide open to pull the smoke out of the bs... i opened the door and caught the rest of the smoke with the hood...

i pulled out the two shoulders and refired the smoke unit... the brisket most likely has a few more hours...

the shoulder bone didnt come out effortlessly but the pork could be easly pulled by fingers... the shoulders have a wonderful bark and look and taste delicious... i have them wrapped in foil awaiting a cool down for further inspection...

i looked out the window to observe the smoke during daylight and noticed some pilgrims looking up at me... there is a big rock and roll event up the highway in a couple days... i-5 and the area has been littered with pilgrims making their way to the show...

anyway... my partner... micki... said she hopes they dont think we have a meth lab cooking up here... now awaiting the fire department or the police... or worse yet the pilgrims knocking on my door...

micki suggested if the authorities were to arrive to investigate the smoke plume that some smoked shoulder would be enough to send them on their way with big smiles...

more later...

owrstrich

Fuzzybear

Looking forward to hearing of further adventures!

What do you do that takes you on the road like that?

Glendora, CA - USA!

Regforte

BONUS POINTS FOR CREATIVITY

What a great example of creative problem solving. Hats off to you.

Eat This

now that is true dedication right there.......pretty creative as well. it all goes back to "risk = reward"...you took a risk but hopefully your reward will be worth it.....that story made my day....

owrstrich

we have a f550 and pull a 34 foot featherlite trailer... the trailer is a sound booth that seats 8 people... we travel washington, oregon, california, nevada and arizona doing osha compliance hearing tests at factories and noisy buisnesses...

fast food low carbing is kinda easy but gets old fast and the good eats we have to prepare when we get the chance... the bs fits perfectly in one of our compartments so i got one from bubba...

i unwrapped the shoulders and could pull the pork with my fingers... it had a good hickory flavor... moist... and a good bark... the pulled pork is in zip locks in the fridge for this weeks meals...

i pulled out the brisket at 180 degrees after 14 hours and wrapped with foil... i let it set for 3 hours and unwrapped it...

i cant believe it... killer bark... 1/4 smoke ring beyond the thick bark... i slid the knife in the small end and it was like cutting warm butter butter... i cut a few slices and with a small amount of doctored carb solutions bbq sauce on the side i proceeded to enjoy the rewards of the bs... completely amazing...

this was my 3rd cook... the first i had no glow and had a dry brisket after finishing it in the oven... the second was a pork loin because the good cuts were not available... today was the shoulder and brisket which i prefer over ribs or anything else at this point...

my next cook will most likely be brisket and perhaps prime rib...

anyway... i got to thank the posters at this forum for posting their expirences with the bs... this cook may not have been completely successful if you folks didnt share the dos and donts...

o my that brisket is good...

thank you very much...

life is good...

owrstrich

Fuzzybear

You'll have to stop by for some smoke when I get the Spokane, Washington house completed.  I have a 1/2 ton Chevy Z71 that I tow a 2002 Komfort 24 foot 5th wheel with...we'll be camping Lake Roosevelt once we get up there.....if I can snake a transfer!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Owrstrich,
Good job, I'm proud of you![8D]!

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

MallardWacker

When you gotta smoke, you gotta smoke.  Man I am proud of you, tell me what do you do for fun?

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

kjel

owrstrich,
Your job sounds familiar... I deal w/ a company based in Vancouver, WA that travels around to do hearing test for our employees.  Maybe you've been to my place before?  I work in a mill in los angeles, ca.

whitetailfan

Dedication has a name - <font color="red">owrstrich</font id="red">[:D]
Way to go man...I can just picture all the people staring at the hotel room wondering when the fire truck is coming?

Sometimes if the wind is too strong, I have to pull the Bradley off the deck and put it in front of the house, protected by the garage.  I love watching people walk by with the quizzical look on their faces trying to read their thoughts..."why does that guy have a beer fridge outside the house, and why the hell is it on fire?" - LOL

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Chez Bubba

Iggy,

Glad you're ridin' the edge & reporting. It'll give us all bigger cajones when we're on the road. Fantastic news about the results, Micki didn't make it sound <b>that</b> excellent on TF. You're ingenious!

Apparently the answer to my sig line is no.[8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

owrstrich

You make me proud to be an American....so

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!