Aluminum Foil

Started by Michael, September 03, 2006, 06:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Why does the BS warn against using aluminum foil in their units?  Possibility of electrical shock?

owrstrich

i had the same question when i got my bs...

some folks said it may prevent even heat and even smoke throughout the bs...

i use an alumunim pan for my water bowl... no problems so far...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

IKnowWood

I think its complex.

I see one part of this when I cold smoke and fill the lower rack with Aluminum containers with Ice.  (when its not cold enough outside to not need ice)  It blockes even smoke movement and if its not done right, smoke will back-up in the system and come up the smoke generator connection and make a mess and risk heating in the generator and messing with the slide and more.

The other obvious things are:

1) Not  enough smoke on the produce if you use aluminum.
2) The aluminum will sweat and drip down, potential short. 

Those are my observations and opinions.  They are mine on and I do not know why really they say not to use the material.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

manxman

In addition to the replies already posted I also think maybe Bradley are concerned about people covering the drip pan with foil....... i.e covering up the slits and central drain hole leading to a fat accumulation which is obviously a safety hazard.

There have been two (as far as I can remember) reported instances of the smoker bursting into flames on the forum and in both instances it appears that the units were not being used as intended and it was the individuals, not the smoker at fault. It is therefore understandable that Bradley are cautious on any potential safety hazards although I cannot remember the exact cause of the problems.

I have used aluminium foil on the drip pan but made the relevant holes in the foil to allow the fat to run down and not impede the smoke flow in the cabinet either without any problems.
Manxman

Michael

Thanks for the responses.  Sometimes during Christmas or Thanksgiving preparation one simply needs a another oven to keep things warm until we're ready to eat.  I can hear it now, "Hey dad.  These hot rolls have a bit of a smokey flavor..."   and that's not a bad thing. :)

Habanero Smoker

I have used the BS to keep non-smoked foods warm until they are ready to be served. You are right! If you do not tightly cover non-smoked foods with pans with lids or aluminum foil, they will pick up a smoke like flavor. If you are using it to keep food warm, as Manxman stated, just do not block the vents in the V pan, and don't cover the trays. Leave enough open space on the trays so that the air and heat can circulate. This will prevent the heat from being trapped and building up.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

agent provocateur

i wrapped my head in aluminum foil to listen to george noory... all i got was a trucker convoy on the super slab retuning from jack links loaded with origional...

jimguy

agent, when you cover your head with foil, make a tail that you can twist to make it longer or shorter to pick up different frequencies

Arcs_n_Sparks

Be careful when the storm clouds appear. 100 kiloamps on the head will re-tune everything. :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

jimguy