Need help w/ pork terminology

Started by kjel, July 28, 2004, 04:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjel

I need to buy a piece of meat for pulled pork.  I'm looking at several different places and they are labeled differently.  Can someone explain...  Thanks in advance
Ralphs Groceries - pork butt roast (no bone) - $1.99/lb
Vons Groceries - pork shoulder blade (bone-in) - $.97/lb
Costco - pork shoulder in cryovac (no bone) - $1.49/lb
Mexican Market - pork shoulder roast (looks like it has skin)- $.98/lb

I tend to go for costco only because I think there meat product is fresher but I'm concerned w/ not having enough fat so it may dry out.
Anyone bought pork shoulder from Costco?  How did it turn out?

Bassman

Kellie,
We don't have Costco around here but IMHO, a pork shoulder is a pork shoulder is a pork shoulder.No matter where you get it from. The Butt is the best piece for pulled pork. Don't worry about drying it out because it's almost impossible. I take the bone out and put rub in the cavity. Here are some pics of one of my adventures. Hope this helps[:D]
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=301

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

MallardWacker

K,

A <u>full</u> pork shoulder will have the "picnic" ham part and the butt on the top of that.(thats a fairly large piece of meat)  Typically what I have found, when they say pork shoulder at the regular grocery store they are meaning for the picnic (front arm area), less the butt and usually has skin on it.  I have smoked these with great results, they are a bit leaner than the butt and still tastes great.  If you did get this cut, smoke it with the skin down, I have also heard of people triming the skin off for more surface to put rub on.  When you have just the butt, it has a part of the blade in it, the regular (not full) picnic/shoulder type just has the leg bone.  By the looks of the pricing , if it simular from around here, shoulder is about .98, butt is about 1.39 to 1.59.  Another popular name for a butt is a Boston Butt, I really only find that name used in butcher stores.  Now that that is as clear as mud, I am sure there is someone else around that is better than I can explain things better. HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

kjel

So pork butt roast is obviously butt.
what about pork shoulder blade?  butt or picnic? it looks like butt in the picture and regular price is $1.99/lb

MallardWacker

K,

I beleive the "shoulder balde" cut would be your closest thing to what "I" think the butt is.  When you get the bone out of the butt after you smoke it or remove it for BBB bacon it kind of looks like a part of the blade.  If you smoke "the shoulder blade" like what we are refuring to as a butt, I really don't think you will have a problem.
WalleyWorlds price for butt/shoulder is 1.39 to 1.49 in these parts, 2.39 if you go to the butcher shop.  I really think the "pork shoulder roast" from Mex Market is probably a "picnic cut" with bone in for that price, not a bad choice if you can't get the butt.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...