Sausage Question

Started by jojo, November 04, 2006, 08:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Greetings,

I've checked this site out a lot and this is my first post.  I've got to say this forum is great.  There is so much helpful info shared in a friendly manner by experienced folks.  I've had my Bradley smoker for about 8 months and love it.  I've did ribs, butts, chicken, turkey, meatloaf and chuck roast.  Years ago my Polish grandfather made some wonderful sausage for his grocery store back in West Virginia and my wife is Polish and helped her parents make sausage often over in the old country.

My question is about hog casings and the metal racks that came with the smoker.  If I lay my sausages on the racks will they end up with indentations and dark marks?  If so, I can always rig up a rack to hang them.  I want to get that smooth, even surface on the casings.  I've searched the forum using "sausage" and havent's found anything in this regard.

Thanks in advance from Clearwater, Fl.,

jojo

jojo

OOPS,

I'm meant to post this is the BBQing/Smoking section.

pfowl01

jojo,

If you lay them on the racks you will get the marks you were talking about. Chez Bubba sells a custom made sausage rack for hanging product from.I think the web site is ChezBubba.com

winemakers

I use 1 inch diameter wooden dowels as hangers.  I hang the sausage-de-joir on the dowels then set the doweling on the top rack supports. 

mld

coyote

JoJo, Welcome and greetings from West Virginia . I think the Chezbubba.com rack
is the way to go .Til then rotate your racks during your smoke, turning your sausage...........and WATCH your temps , not to hot. It will render your fat going
above 160-165 giving you a dry product , and the racks will dent your sausage.Take your time and enjoy!

Coyote

ceeuawlsune

do you use a probe thermometer through the smoke vent to gauge the temp?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: ceeuawlsune on November 27, 2006, 06:38:15 PM
do you use a probe thermometer through the smoke vent to gauge the temp?

To monitor the cabinet temperature you could place a probe down through the vent. Many of us have the Maverick E-73, which lets you monitor both the cabinet and meat temperatures.
http://www.thegadgetsource.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=tgs&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=011502013733

I believe Linen&Things sells them, but they sell them at full retail price, then you have the state tax. I winds up being cheaper to order online.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ceeuawlsune

Thanks for the link.  I've used the Polder probe therms before, but never one that reads both ambient and internal.  I like that sounds of that jus' fine...  I never trust those ovens at work anyway.