• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

deer sausage - can that be smoked?

Started by DrMorleyDentist, November 08, 2006, 07:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrMorleyDentist

I harvested a deer and just had is processed.  I ordered a few roast and the rest in summer sausage and some sausage and jalopeno cheese stixs.  they are both are fully cook sausage and I was wanting to know if I could through this into the smoker and get a smokey flavor into the sausage since the casings are on and the meat is fully cooked.  If you can...does any one know of the time/temp setting for such a thing?

Smudge

Anything is possible I suppose. Isn't the summer sausage already smoked?

If you want more smoke flavoring I would take a small batch (no more than 5 lbs), allow it to come up to room temperature and cold smoke it for 40 minutes to an hour. Applying any smokehouse heat at this stage would likely ruin the sausage.

If you like the results, the remainder of the processed venison can be smoked.

coyote

Hey Doc, Since you're working with a finished product(summer sausage) you may
want to try this. I saw this at cabela's durring a BS demo and everything tasted
great...........Ritz cracker with a slice of summer sausage and a piece of cheese.
They used a jerky tray just like you'd use a snack tray ...smoke for about 15 to 20
min. and all of a sudden a fresh,warm and smokey tray of delicious snacks. 8)
I don't think the smoke could penatrate any other way.
                                                Give it a whirl,
                                                            Coyote

jaeger

Doc,
If you have venison sausage links, reheating them in the bradley is the only way to go! Preheat smoker, turn on smoke and put links in smoker monitoring with thermometer. I heat/smoke for about 30 minutes until IT of 160 f.   
This is also great with natural casing wieners and store purchased rope sausage or link sausage.
Quick, easy and practically no mess! Give it a try!!!         

carjew

Has anyone tried using their smoker to make their own deer sausage.  It does not sound that hard to make the snack stix and I have yet to try.  Thanks for any advice.

winemakers

Many pounds of the 'rats with horns' have been run through the BS.  I like to blend in pork butt for the fat/flavor combination.  Any recipe is adaptable if you consider that venison is lean and requires a fat adjunct.

mld

iceman

Quote from: winemakers on November 20, 2006, 11:58:58 AM
Many pounds of the 'rats with horns' have been run through the BS.  I like to blend in pork butt for the fat/flavor combination.  Any recipe is adaptable if you consider that venison is lean and requires a fat adjunct.

mld
winemakers right. Pork fat rules :D and for sure you need it in venison to make it work.

Buck36

I use Butcher Packer products for our venison they explain everything for you. They amount of venison to pork, temperatures, etc.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/pages-main/category-210/sausage-making-kits.html?zenid=ea38886ce3118aa911aad0d90981f0e1