• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Vacuum Packer...Which One Is BEST?

Started by ceeuawlsune, November 27, 2006, 06:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceeuawlsune

Hello Everybody: This is my second post, and I'm equally impressed with this website as other new members have indicated.  I find it truly relieving to have this resource at my disposal to abuse like a rented mule. 

I intend on working my new digital 4-shelf BS overtime.  However, I'd love to get myself set up properly right off the bat.  In addition to installing the BS in a semi-permanent location (with workspace, chest freezer, exhaust hood, etc...along the lines of posts by Mr Walleye), I'd like to get a vaccum packager to replace this completely worthless chunk of plastic that makes strange noises I recently bought at Gander Mountain, in Kingston, NY.  I repeat, DO NOT buy the Guide Series Vacuum Sealer from Gander Mountain. 

Which brings me to my question: Is the FoodSaver Professional III the way to go?  Apparently it can execute 50+ vacuums/seals without overheating?  Anybody out there experienced?  Are these machines user-friendly?  I've used commercial vacuum packers in restaurants, but never the residential models.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: ceeuawlsune on November 27, 2006, 06:25:14 PM
I find it truly relieving to have this resource at my disposal to abuse like a rented mule. 

ceeuawlsune,

Welcome to the 'resource.' No mules here, so if you want to abuse something, you will have to go to another forum.

ceeuawlsune

Wildcat

I concur with Arcs - we are all here to share.  As for your question, I have one of the older versions of the FoodSaver and I have not found anything better except perhaps the commercial stuff.  I guess I could over heat it, but during non-commercial normal use, I have not had that problem.  The special channels in the bags/rolls really do an amazing job.  I do have an occassional problem with getting cannister seals, but never with the bags/rolls.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ceeuawlsune

I did not mean to give the impression I wasn't here to participate fully, and I apologize if I offended you.  I'm just trying to have a little fun. 

ceeuawlsune

Wildcat - Clearly the rolls (i.e., make-your-own bags) are the cheaper, more sensible way to go as opposed to the prefabricated bags.  Is the bag-making process time consuming?  If you were planning on making, say, 50 bags at a time?

pipsqueek

Nobody ever said smoking meat was fun  ;)

owrstrich

no mules here...

my daddy was a donkey...

from missouri no doubt...

you goota eat...

owrstrich

greetings from yuma az btw
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Habanero Smoker

ceeuawlsune;

Well howdy neighbor :D, and welcome to the board Don't worry about these guys, not to many people on this forum understand New York humor.

Instead of shopping at Gander Mt., you should have driven across the parking lot and gone into Sam's Club and purchased a Food Saver their. I have the Food Saver V835L that I purchased from Sam's and it works great. I'm not sure what model version of Food Saver Sam's is selling this year. If you are shopping in Kingston, you shouldn't be far from me. I work in Kingston for 15 years, and live on the other side of the Hudson River, about 33 miles east.

Making your own bags will take about 15-20 seconds for each bag. I have never made more then 8 bags at a session, but I know it will handle way more than that. You can overheat the machine, but it has a safety switch that will cut the machine off for a period of time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Never made that many at one time, but what Hab said is correct, it is simple to make bags.  I personally never by the pre-made bags, but I did get some with my original purchase.  I am sure you will be happy with the FoodSaver.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ceeuawlsune

a fellow new yorker and partner in smoking crime...

thanks for the information about the foodsaver.  in retrospect, i wish i had driven across the parking lot to sam's club; now i have to go back to kingston (i'm 35 miles west) and return this excuse for a sealer.  this time, i will be going to sam's for a foodsaver (hopefully the Pro III). 

i'm preheating the box now for my very first baby backs.  we'll see.  plan is for 220-235 range, 3.5 to 4 hours.  have plenty of time on the other side for overage.  only smoking about 3 pounds (two full racks).

would love to be able to vacuum package the other rack!

iceman

Welcome ceeuawlsune;
Hab pretty much said it all. I have a VacMaster commercial sealer but like to use the Foodsaver for odd shaped bags. It doesn't take much time to make bags and works great. The rolls of bag material aren,t cheap but you can buy them on sale most times. Have fun with the ribs. ;)

ceeuawlsune

Ice - What model VacMaster do you have?  Is it, in your opinion, better to spring for the more expensive piece of equipment?  Furthermore, can you make your own bags with the VM?  If not, what kind of bags do you use for it?  I'm open to upgrading from residential to commercial...

PetersCreek

I sometimes look longingly at the heavy duty sealers listed in my Cabela's catalog but I've been hammering on a FoodSaver Professional II (the gray one) for almost 4 years now and it's served me well.  If it's anywhere near as good, I wouldn't consider the purchase of a Pro III as wasted money.
Brett
Peters Creek, Alaska
PetersCreekPhoto.com

Smudge

What an expensive way to preserve food--unless you're smart about it.

Foodsaver is the brand I have; don't ask me what model. I buy 11 inch and 8 inch rolls for it.

The most frustrating things about this way of freezing products is: the cost, and the pickiness of ensuring a good seal. I would estimate that despite following instructions to a tee, 25% of the seals have failed in my freezer, allowing air into the bags.

Don't get me wrong, vacuum sealing has its place. When it works, there is nothing better. Realize it is designed for long term storage. There is the rub--one never knows when putting a piece of meat into the freezer how long it's going to be there. Beyond six months and the vac-packed bag makes you look like a genius. Less than a month in there and you're a profligate buffoon.

The only saving grace to all of this is that the bags are reusable. They simply get smaller with each use, to the point where the last 9 inches are limited in usefulness. You quickly learn that headspace is very important in ensuring a good seal.

Bottom line: would I recommend any type of vacuum sealer? The answer: yes, but in a very limited role. Quality butcher paper will still do the job for 90% of the tasks.