Jerky problems

Started by Cutterone, August 13, 2004, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutterone

I bought my smoker in April and the first dozen batches of jerky I made turned out fantastic, but now the last four batches turned out with a sour after taste[xx(]. I am doing everything exactly as I always have done, same cut of meat, same thickness, same temp of around 150 degrees, ice in the bowl, same amount of time, same pucks (hickory), but the taste is such that we can't eat it. Any one with any ideas[8)].Thanks, the forum always has some great ideas.

From a tiny spark bursts a mighty flame, but from a cloud of grey, develops a great taste.

Chez Bubba

Wow, that's kind of weird.[:(]

How do you clean the smoker after use? Is it possible that there's something bacterial growing inside? Could've a pesky rodent crawled inside somewhere, died & giving off "flavor"?

I know those are some pretty far-fetched suggestions, but you have presented a really confounding situation.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

cutterone,
Did you clean the inside of the smoker with any kind of cleaner?
I hope not.[:(][V][xx(]
Never had a bad taste from my smoker.  If you have any more info let us know.  I'm kinda at a loss.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Cutterone

I had aked the question before about cleaning and everyone told me not to. So the only cleaning I do is to wipe down the the door seal with a wet paper towel, and throw everything else into the dishwasher. I never use any cleaners. About the rodent, I don't think so, but I suppose it"s possible, no smell tho, will have to check more thoroghly on my next day off. What do you think of me running the temp at the highest setting for a few hours? I'm thinking that it might clean out whatever is in there.

From a tiny spark bursts a mighty flame, but from a cloud of grey, develops a great taste.

Cold Smoke

Are you brining your meat with anything? Perhaps that's gone bad. Someone swapped the soya sauce with something else (old engine oil).[?] I think spices can lose some of their flavor over time but I'm not sure they go rancid?

Perplexing...

Cold Smoke

Cutterone

I solved the problem. I am a meatcutter and the place that I work at is where I marinade the meat, so I knew both were fresh and the only thing that I was doing different I realized was to cryovac, (vacuum seal) the meat in a bag, so that it would wait until I had a day off and could smoke it. For some reason this was giving it the sour taste. I did some meat last week and smoked it the next day and it turned out like it used to....FANTASTIC. I usually marinate in teryaki and smoke in hickory. I think I read in another post somewhere that this was a "my bad". Thanks to all that responded.