• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Biff Burger and Iceman's BBQ sauce.

Started by Oldman, December 12, 2006, 03:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

The Biff-Burger chain started in the mid-1950s. Biff stands for "best in food fast". The locations stretched along the East Coast but were mostly in the Southeast. Biff offered "roto-broiled" burgers and their buildings incorporated a W-shaped roof and red, yellow and blue diamonds. In the 1960s, the chain was bought out by Burger King and their buildings began to disappear. The locations that Burger King did not buy became Beef Burgers.

The only still-operating location is in St. Petersburg. It still offers indoor dining and drive-thru service. Their sign features a Sputnik-type ball on top like those at several Stewart's Root Beers. Biff's is right next door to Buffy's BBQ which features an open-air dining area/bar. They share one common open air eating place. Ties both building together. They are both popular places with bikers and on Fridays which is Cruise Night.

The standard Biff is a cooked patty dragged through a BBQ sauce with pickles on top.  I'm lucky enough to have one remaining Biff Burger here in St. Pete.   Nothing frozen and nothing pre-cooked and sitting under a food warmer.  They cook everything when you order it.  Here is a copy of image of the Biff in my town.

This is car night...  they have a ton of cars that show up.

This is bike day / night:

So what does this have to do with Iceman's BBQ sauce? Well a real deal Biff has a flavor that is more than great. It is a blend that I've enjoyed since my childhood.  Well today I got two double Biff's with just pickles and no sauce.  You got to understand that no one gets an original without the sauce... it is sacred.

Anyway when I got home I heated up some of Iceman's sauce dredge the meat through it.... all I can say it is as good in all the ways the original Biff sauce is but that kick makes it better....

Damn the next then you will know is Mother will have me putting it on my eggs too~~! (No kidding Mother eats it on her eggs... Good Lordie help the prime rib.....LOL~!)

EDIT: For those of use that remember getting a 15 cent hamburger, 20 cent milk shake and a 10 cent order of fries this was big doings on Friday night.  I remember my first time eating there... I was in the 3rd grade... 1958!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Cool pics Old's. I would die for an old time joint like that up here. Ahh the good ole days!!! ;) :)

Wildcat

Right on Olds.  I was in 1st grade that year.  I do remember dad taking me to those places back then, just could not remember the name.  When I saw your wonderful photo's I knew instantly that was the place.  We lived in Miami back then.  I also remember when Burger King took over.  Burger King was pretty good at that time.  Now I know I am going to visit St. Pete.  We are going to Spring Hill next Thursday for Christmas, but unfortunately the itinerary is full and I probably will not make it to Biff's.

I also fully support your analysis of Iceman's sauce.  I love it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Oops!  The second paragraph should have the word analysis vice Oysis.

Wildcat

What is with this?  I will try again "analysis"

Wildcat

Still not working - perhaps I should just say "opinion" since the system does not want to accept what I typed.  Perhaps analyze.

manxman

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Great pictures. I miss the old style drive-in diners. Fortunately for me, getting Stewarts sodas is a simple matter of going to my local Stewarts store, or one of the many super markets that carry it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Another chain that went away was Burger Chief..... The last one I saw was in Atlanta in the later 70's.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

The best burger place I have ever been to was somewhere in Florida.... I know it is a big place and for the life of me I cannot remember exactly where! :-[

Marvellous freshly made food, jukebox with 50's and 60's music and the place was laid out as I had always imagined an old Amercian diner would look like. If the waiters weren't busy they sang along with the music.

Each of the three times I have been to Florida we have always gone back to it, on the last trip the boys loved it too!  :)

Manxman

Malc

Although I am too young to remember them from my childhood, we have two such places near us(NE Ohio).  One is an A&W which still has the drive-up service.  The other is a chain called Swensons, which is by far the best burger I have ever had.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

winemakers

Hey Malc,

Good news.  Swensens lives, and their burgers are better than ever.  They are in the Akron/Canton area and appear to be going strong.

mld

Malc

QuoteHey Malc,

Good news.  Swensens lives, and their burgers are better than ever.  They are in the Akron/Canton area and appear to be going strong.

mld
Yep, I should have made my post a little clearer.  I discovered these places later in life, not during childhood.  I make a trip to the one near Kent State University all the time.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Wildcat

Hey Olds,

Just in case I can find some extra time, could you get me an address for this place?  I mentioned it to my wife and she said St. Pete was not that far away and we may get a chance to make it.  Her mouth started watering as well.

Rick

Oldman

Rick ... piece of cake.

From Spring hill, ask your family how to get to Mcmullen Booth Road. Go South on it. You will go over the BaySide Bridge. At that point Mcmullen turns into 49th Street. Continue South give or take 20 minutes or so. Biff is on 49th Street on the East (left) side of the road.

From Spring hill to Biff it is a good 50 - 55 miles. For the most part you will only be on one road...although the name of the road changes a few times.  I travel to Spring Hill 4 times per year and I can tell you that while you can take the interstate highway don't! Come down Mcmullen Booth road.

Addy: 3939 49th St N, St Petersburg, FL
(727) 527-5297

Now the standard Biffburgers with sauce are  great... the BBQ at Biffs is lacking IMO.

EDIT: Check out the history on their website.  Pretty cool.