• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

newbie's first smoke

Started by sgaberdeen, December 29, 2006, 12:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgaberdeen

Just bought a new original smoker from cabelas. I set it up and am seasoning it now. Being an extreme newbie I thought I would try a chicken for my first shot, probably on Tuesday. Any suggestions as far as brining or smokin the bird. Look foward to learning to master the smoke

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

ke4d

We got our BS today at Gander Mnt in Houston.  We don't have time to mess with it today, we are fulltime Rvers and are heading to the Texas coast tomorrow, looking for warmer weather. 
The store only had cherry and apple bisquits, so we need to order some more from somewhere.  We bought a remote digital meat thermometer at Lowes also, but I understand the on board thermometer isn't too reliable.  Any suggestion on one for the box or is the one in our meat going to be sufficient.

John KE4D
www.TheRollingHome.com

Habanero Smoker

Many use the Maverick ET-73, which has two probes; one for meat and one for the cabinet. The door thermometer is generally unreliable, because of it's placement, and is often not accurate reading the temperature.

http://www.thegadgetsource.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=tgs&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=011502013733

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Congradulations on obtaining the BS and welcome to the forum to the both of you.  It is hard to go wrong with the BS.  Chezz Bubba is an excellent source for all your BS needs.  He is a member here.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

If you don't need a remote, you can try the Polder Dual Sensor Thermometer and Timer.  Cost is about $30.00.  It is a single probe but the top where the cable is attached is actually a second sensor for the box air temp.  Been using one for several months and love the fact that it is 2 probes in one and the air is measured right above the meat.  I'll end up with a Maverick shortly as I would like to have an additional probe with remote. ::)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Welcome to both of you, dont be just readers, share your experience and thoughts with everyone.  Everyone wins with posts.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Infalable

A lot of threads talk about temp control, but what is the real concern for not having the accurate temp or maybe temp swings. Does it really matter if ribs, for example, cook at 195 or 210?

sgaberdeen

Thaks to all who repied to my post. I just put the bird in the ol smoker 10 am. Might have a hard time keeping cabinet temp up today. Wicked winds and outside temp only 35 degrees, but well see how it goes. Holding steady at 200 degrees. Plan on smoking to an internal temp of 180. I have a maverick temp probe run through the vent into the bird. Smells good already. Life is good.

LilSmoker

Quote from: ke4d on January 01, 2007, 03:31:25 PM
We got our BS today at Gander Mnt in Houston.  We don't have time to mess with it today, we are fulltime Rvers and are heading to the Texas coast tomorrow, looking for warmer weather. 
The store only had cherry and apple bisquits, so we need to order some more from somewhere.  We bought a remote digital meat thermometer at Lowes also, but I understand the on board thermometer isn't too reliable.  Any suggestion on one for the box or is the one in our meat going to be sufficient.

John KE4D
www.TheRollingHome.com

What a great way of life you must have, i'm very envious, and now you have a BS, what more could a man ask for? ;)
Quote from: sgaberdeen on January 02, 2007, 07:03:28 AM
Thaks to all who repied to my post. I just put the bird in the ol smoker 10 am. Might have a hard time keeping cabinet temp up today. Wicked winds and outside temp only 35 degrees, but well see how it goes. Holding steady at 200 degrees. Plan on smoking to an internal temp of 180. I have a maverick temp probe run through the vent into the bird. Smells good already. Life is good.

Nice, you're making me hungry, i better go get the BS set up before dark  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

iceman

Quote from: sgaberdeen on January 02, 2007, 07:03:28 AM
Plan on smoking to an internal temp of 180. I have a maverick temp probe run through the vent into the bird. Smells good already. Life is good.
180 might be a little overkill for the internal temp. I usually pull mine at 160F. and the breast meat is still juicy that way. Thighs should hit the 165F. mark and will be done just right. Just a thought to mull over. Whatever you do make sure to pace youself while your scaffing down on the bird. That way you can eat more!!! ;D :D Happy new year sgaberdeen.

sgaberdeen

Thanks iceman, I'll be sure to heed your advice as it's now 1 pm and the internal temp is reading 145 on the maverick. It is truly an awesome thing to have found this forum and all the fine help available to new memebers.

ke4d

Thanks,
Ordered the Maverick today and some more pucks.  Unfortunately, the pucks will not be to me until February. 
I have some apple and cherry, so we will just have to start with those and see what happens.  We delayed our trip to the Texas Coast, its going to rain tomorrow and Thursday and as fulltime Rvers, we don't have to drive in the rain. We will wait it out here in Livingston, TX and head south on Friday or Saturday.  The BS sits up nicely in the back of my towed Chevy Colorado (under the topper of course)  I'm anxious to do something with it.

John KE4D
www.TheRollingHome.com

West Coast Kansan

Feb. Is that real? Must be a story about why a month to get pucks. Did you try Chez Bubba?

http://www.chezbubba.com

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

West Coast Kansan

Just clicked your web page. I get it now. There really is a story.  If you roll through San Diego let me know. I got pucks ALL kinds of pucks.