new smoke generator

Started by outlander, January 01, 2007, 10:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

Put the URL Link from your hosting service between the brackets. That pop up when you click insert picture. Other wise it wont let most member see your picture.

Looks like it is getting colder ( I had to go to properties of your post and copy / view into the search bar to see your picture)  Really looking forward to seeing your smoke house.

If you click preview before post you can see how it will look.

Take Care...

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

outlander

lol,,attempt  # 2,, with the photobucket, thanks for the link WCK,,

[/URL] ] [/img]

outlander

older smoke house for fish and jerky

outlander

new smoke house i built for use in the canadian winters. used a 240 bake elemnt with a oven thermostatic control. installed a 240 all metal fan to keep the heat moving around. aprox 2 square feet by five feet high with six shelves/ 12 shelves if doing fish or jerky where vertical space can be kept at a minumum.will get some inside photos tommrrow when i start the pastramie smoking.

West Coast Kansan

Now then, those would be ribs!!  :D  :o

What is the construction on the old smoke house.  Is that a metal wrapped wood? Then the propane burner and wood box in the bottom? Interested in the story, what you did and didn't like and what you did different in your new one, why - your heat set up in the new one etc. 

Yea, gonna steal your experience and will even admit it. 

I remember that stuff - snow right  ;D Good eating, Good night.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

owrstrich

canada is well represented on these forums...

even though canadians still cant brew a good beer or distill a good whiskey...

however the ribbs are looking good... the smoker is looking good...

i gotts a feeling the outlander is eating good...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Gizmo

Outlander, that looks really cool.  Or maybe really cold.  Or mabye frigid a$$ freezing.
O.K., the box, cool, the surrounding, the rest.   ;D  Will need to modify the grin face to have the teeth chatter up and down.  I can see your next project moving the box into the house and setting up the OWSTRICH indoor smoking arangement.  As he would say, you gotta eat.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Outlander

Great job! When you live in this climate you just have to be creative  ;D By the looks of the photo you guys got hit by the big storm system that just came through Alberta and Saskatchewan. -40 C = -40 F. We had -35 and wind gusts up to 85 km (50 mph). That makes it around -45 C to -50 C with the wind chill. Today is -24 C and no wind. It's kinda nice out. This is why I mounted my DBS in my heated garage. Plus you can sit and have a beer and supervise the process.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Admiring from afar.  74F here in the Florida panhandle.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

outlander,

Very nice setup. I assume the box is ungrounded so that if someone tries to steal your......    :D :D :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

outlander

hailz WCK

the older smoke house was built with a 2X2 frame, sheeted with 3/4" plywood.i also used some 2" semiridged mineralwool insulation i found lying around work (good up to 1200'F). the outside was covered with 30 gauge galvanized metal. i used the metal break and lock former at work to prefab the metal. installed in on the smoker at home in the backyard. for vents i used 2 floor vents i bought at wallyworld.the heat source was a cheap one burnner pack stove set on a 6 inch pice of steel pipe. useing a 6" cast iron frying pan , i could get about an hours worth of smoke at a time.

pro's,, was a project i did with my son, will do 30lbs of jerky or smoke 25-30 whitefish at a time, brought back fond thoughts of my father.

con's,, cheap burnner only provides temps for jerky or smokefish. hard to control heat level with burnner control inside smoker.

[/URL] [/img]

outlander

as for the new smoker, i built one for my brother useing utilidor insulated sheeting. basical 1 1/2" thick foam samwiched between two sheets of metal. we set it up to use a stove top burnner and a infinet switch to control the heat level.,lol,, he melted the first two aluminum pans he used to burn the chips. had to lend him my frying pan. when i made the second one for my self, i used a bake element instead, in an attemped to spread out the heat. then the wife and son were nice enough to get me the smoke generator for x-mas/birthday. i am useing a electric meat probe set on the door to regulate the cabint temp, and a remote sending meat probe to watch the internal meat temps. the second probe has a temp alarm system to alarm once the disired temp is reached. i also came across a 240volt all metal fan that i installed above the temp switch to circulate the internal air to advoide any hot spots.

i went with the elcetric heat source so that i could control the temp inside the box and to bring it up to temp in a very short time frame. am thinking of building another smaller box for camping.found a 120volt heater element to use.

pro's,,, fast preheat time, precise heat control from verey low to 300'F+,double the fish and jerky loads with the double racks,can now do more meats/types,load and go with the smoke gen :D,can now use it instead of the oven in the summer so that the trailer dont heat up,and just plain fun to use.

con's,, forgot to put "D" handles on sides to make moving it easyer, need to build a small stand for it later.

[/URL] [/img]

outlander

heres todays smoken project,,venision pastramie
[/URL] [/img]

Arcs_n_Sparks

outlander,

Very nice story and pictures. Looks like the Bradley on steroids...  :o

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

Outlander thanks greatly.  I am wanting to build something and looking for ideas ... you certainly gave me lots of pointers and i appreciate it.

I am thinking about propane gas, did you notice a lot of moisture due to the water vapor from the propane? I guess another advantage of electric is clean and no moisture.

No issues with the utilidor insulation and heat? I need to learn about them.  Very nice work on the house not to mention the venison!!!!  :P

Take Care, wck