NePaSmoKer

OH NOOOOO
ANOTHER PROJECT FOR ME

"DOH"   :o
SOMEBODY SLAP ME

looks real nice outlander

nepas

Gamegetter

Hey Outlander, looks good. i just finished mine home built and used the new propane generator for smoke and the same electric element as you. I mounted the element above the generator and when running @220v. it started the briquetts on fire. Hows it working with the generator above the element?  I wired mine as 110v. instead of 220v. and it seems to work fine, but does not get red hot like on 220. Did first smoke today of some kippered springs from 2 seasons ago. Looks pretty good. Im guessing you are in prairies somewhere I'm in central Alberta and its turnned cold and snowy here again. All the best

outlander

:o hummm,, shiny button snydrome,,did you know that hitting the refresh button before posting is a bad thing? and now for the shorter version of the disapearing post.

i tried running at 120V, but didnt feel the heat output was enough. at 240V i can preheat the smoker up to 250 degrees in -30 below in about 15 to 20 min's. i found a 120V BBQ element that is about the same size and sape as the 240V one. going to switch it out and see if i get good heat with it. ( keeps the wife happy when she's trying to do the laundry and i have the smoker pluged into the dryer outlet ).that way i can bring it out to the camp site this summer and run it off a gen set.

i havent had any probs with the smoke gen above the element so far, mind you i dount use a water bowel to catch the spent pucks, just the pan that came with it.playing with the PID controler idea to control the heat, and mabee the generator as well. right now i have a unervirsal thermstic oven controler switch. it has about a 9 degree temp swing as is.

what part of central alberta are you in? am in cold lake up along the sask border.

iceman

Ahhhh... The ole disappearing post trick.
And here all along I thought I was the only David Copperfield of the keyboard. Shucks!!! :D ;D