new smoke generator

Started by outlander, January 01, 2007, 10:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outlander

hails all,,
just got the smoke generator W/adaptor for xmas/birthday. i instaled it on my latest smoker and doing lake trout / spareribs as i type this. am very impressed with the smoke output fro this unit so far. i have been useing propane camp stove for heat with the old house, but decided to go electric with the new to match up with the generator. useing a 240 bake element for the heat so that i could do more then the fish and jerky that i have been diong. its nice to be able to regulate the heat so closely for a change.

and heres the newbie question that all have been waiting for,,lol,, just what is "lox"? a form of sushi? is the fish acutly cured or just seasoned?

nice info on the fourms on recipes and tips.

Habanero Smoker

Outlander;
Welcome to the board.

Lox are cured, and are "chemically cooked" by the salt during the curing process. Then lightly smoke to add flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pipsqueek

Lox is the cold smoked cured salmon commonly found in Europe, it tastes magnificent.

The most common recipe I see on the net, and one I highly recommend along with a lot of people here is Spyguys recipe to be found at

http://www.susanminor.org/smokers/salmon/salmon/bestsmokedsalmon.htm

Lox tends to be very expensive in posh restaurants served with canapes, you will be able to make it very easily with the smoke generator as no heat is wanted on this one.

outlander

so just out of my own morbid curiosity,, what is the working temp range of the smoke generator? looking for the lower end of the scale. am wondering if its just too cold out side to get the pucks to advance, or if my x-mas gift has a electrical problem. right now i have the stove timmer on so that i can hand bomb a new puck onto the hot plate area to keep the smoke going for the ribs i have on. the advance button does not seem to be working at all so far.  it worked great the first time i used it to do up some smoked lake trout and first attemped at ribs two weeks ago.

thanks for any info.

outlander

Gizmo

Seen post here with people doing smokes at freezing temperatures.  I would suspect there is a mechanical or electrical problem with the advance mechanism.  You can search the site for the various posts on what others have had to do to fix them.  Gunk buildup, linkage, and electrical issues have been seen before.  A call to Bradley may be in order if the visual doesn't point to something obvious.  More details on what you are seeing may help those here that have intimate knowledge of the puck advance to be able to give you the "Tinkers Digest" advice.  I has been amazing at how many have had some spot on diagnosis. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Outlander. It is very cold here in North San Diego County. They say headed for 29 degrees near the coast... burrrrrr.  Got the sprinklers set for three short runs tonight to try to keep cold off the Impatians.

Cold smoking bacon in tonight in honor of record setting cold. Have not missed a puck...

BUT I MAY still have you beat by 30 or more degrees.  cold lake Alberta Canada may be a problem.  Some of your northland friends will have to share thier experience.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

outlander

thanks for the reply gizmo,,

am now thinking that it is just the outside temp thats causing the problem. have the smoker up to 107c and the button seems to work if held in. have the stove timer set to 20 minuts and i am thinking that on the last puck, it had advanced on its own. meausered with finger to level of pucks remaining, and will see in 15minuts or so. lol,, gotta love the canucks weather up here this year. but when you can get smoked ribs at 20 below,,ya gotta love it. took some pics of the weather station read out and the home brew smoke houses i have built. will try to get them to show online later when i pull the ribs out for dindin. hopefully its just a matter of getting the temp up so that it heats up the generator enough to operate properly.

outlander

outlander

hailz there WCK.

well,, the temp here is sitting at -28.1 c as per the weather satation i have hooked up.lol,, hoping it warms up for sunday cuz i have a hip of venision i have cureing to make some pastramie.

Gizmo

I could see why the arm doesn't advance, I would think the heater would throw up its hands as well.  LOL.  You didn't mention if you preheated the box before starting?  If not, it might help with those bone chillers you have there.  Good to hear you may end up with some good chow after all.  Can always finish in the oven (house) if needed.

outlander

yup,, preheated to roughly about 90C before turning on power to generator. gotta love the 240volt power, took about 20minuts.thinking that it might be a bit on the cool side to expect the gen to run right though. have the cast iron frying pan with wood chips as back up though. will try to get some pics of the smoker up for you to see later this weekend. but as so far, i cant say as i have had any bad thoughts about the bradly products, and am looking foreward to building a 120volt portably unit to take out to the lake this summer. will just have to jump the generator to and from the one at the house.

outlander

West Coast Kansan

Sounds like you do have some nip in the air! May want to store your generator inside till your ready to smoke and then hook it onto your house.  Dont even know how to calculate to F when its negative C.  Anyway it is too cold when I shiver enough my beer starts foam out of the bottle. :D ;D

Please do post the pics of your smokehouse. I and am sure a number of others would be very interested in seeing it... sounds like a quite a setup with that electric power heat plus the bradley. 

The generators do put out amazing amounts of smoke for what they look like.

Take Care and wear a coat! 8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Gizmo

WCK,
I don't think a coat is going to be warm enough, better wear a "Bear".

owrstrich

i vote for photos of the smoke house...

photos good...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

West Coast Kansan

Outlander, You can't post photos directing onto this site so go to this place:   http://photobucket.com and get yourself registered (it is free but you need an account - used by many on the forum),

Just follow the instructions on the photobucket screen and your set.  There is a box to click i did not notice for a while that lets you do clickable thumbnails or you can do the size for forum boards.

When you insert the photo into your post it goes between the brackets that come up in the post when you click the insert image icon. 

Click preview before you click post and you can see how it will look when posted.

outlander

lol,, well,soups on , and if that dont beat all. the sons,s friend asked if he could wrap up his leftovers to take home. i think thats the best complement i have ever had about my cooking. following post are the pics i took. dont known how to down size them yet, so will add one per post
[/img]