PID/Replacing With A Bbq Guru/Power Raptor

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 20, 2007, 01:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Hi All

Dont know if it's allowed here on the forum.

I have a brand new PID that I am replacing with a BBQGURU/POWER RAPTOR. Anyone need a PID? only 3 smokes with it, works like magic with the Auber instructions. I have photos if interested.

nepa

nodak

NePaSmoKer, Have you tried your guru/raptor yet???  If not you might want to hold on to your PID for a while to see if your happy!   I actually went the opposite of you.  I had terrible luck with the Guru/Raptor so I sent it back and built a PID.

owrstrich

nepa...

if its easy to use i might get it for truth detector...

he is technically challenged you know...

i was thinking about making a love ts for him cause its easy...

let me know...

you gotta toot...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Sabre

What made yoy change from the pid to the Guru, If the pid works so well?

Wildcat

Quote from: Sabre on January 20, 2007, 01:23:34 PM
What made yoy change from the pid to the Guru, If the pid works so well?

What he said? ???

I plan on doing the PID myself eventually but not ready to get one yet.  I am also technically challenged and will probably need one of you guys to help me out when I do get ready.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

nodak

Don't let the PID scare you, they're is great help here and diagrams.  I was freaked out at wiring it to.  Can wire houses but that thing looked confusing until the help and diagrams here and my numerous question.  Great diagram on olds site also.  Also less than half the price.  I could never get my guru/raptor as tight parimeter as my PID +-3 compared to 15 at times with guru.

NePaSmoKer

ot scared of the pid, just been wanting a guru for awhile and finally broke down to it. The pid i built does work real good, slight learning curve with it but no biggie. Guru should be at my home thiss week sometime so i will compare it to the pid and see. If the pid is not as good as the bbqguru then i will sell it. I have 4 bbq's i can use the guru on when not smokin. (yeah i know, cant use the raptor on the grills)

Its cold here in the pocono mountains, going to rig up an insulated metal smoking cabinet for the BS with a flue and keep it on the back deck so i dont have to walk all the way to the garage at nite.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

NEPAS;

I'm sure you will be pleased with the Raptor/Guru. It now comes with good instructions, so it is easy to hook up, and use. I've never had a problem with mine, except when I broke my thermocouple; clearly my fault.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

owrstrich

pocono mountains...

stroudsburg to wilkes barre to tamaqua to jim thorp... some of the usas finest country...

that deleware water gap is awesome...

better bear proof it too...

even bears goyts to eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: owrstrich on January 21, 2007, 08:28:12 AM
pocono mountains...

stroudsburg to wilkes barre to tamaqua to jim thorp... some of the usas finest country...

that deleware water gap is awesome...

better bear proof it too...

even bears goyts to eat...

owrstrich

Yup

Real nice up here.
Mahoning Valley west of Lehighton

nepas

nsxbill

I have used the Raptor set-up from BBQ now since the beginning (Raptor was my idea, and talked Fred at BBQ Guru into producing it).  I use the Raptor with the Procom4 controller, and recently, my controller took a dump.  Since I had the pre-release prototype of it, I just contacted BBQGuru, and they replaced it with a new model. I swear by it! Had to do about 22 lbs of pork butt last month while it was in for repairs, and what a pain in the derriere!  I am really spoiled by the Raptor controller combination.  A PID is great for keeping the cabinet temp consistent, and it programs by learning the capability of your unit and cycles on and off to maintain the temp within 2 degrees.  I think it is the best alternative for the Raptor controller, and about 1000% better than stock Bradley spin-the-dial control while you are constantly at the smoker, beer in hand, making adjustments while looking at an aftermarket Maverick, etc temp monitor.  I just wanted more.

I bought a PID to put into my espresso machine to maintain boiler temp.  If control is what you want without all the bells and whistles, it works great, and it is pretty economical.

With smoking, the GURU/Raptor combo does so much more.  It does a ramp mode scenerio that allows me to essentially walk away from the smoker, and only have to return every 4 hours to change the water and rotate the meat. You set the cabinet temp, then the meat temp.  It runs itself and as the meat temp approaches the set temp it is constantly monitoring and reduces the cabinet temp to slowly keep the smoke going low and slow. The controller on the Procom4 allows me to monitor it from 200 yards away, so I can watch the temp from the pool area or garage or bedroom, and tweak it as I chose.  If I am going to go somewhere, it will even turn off the smoker when the meat is done.  If I am using both of my my Bradley smokers at the same time, the Procom will control both of them if I load them equally, and watch the temps on both of them at once.  Am I a fan...you bet.  I love the Procom4/Guru combo, and it controls within 1°+-/.

My rating.... TITS....two big ones! (Sorry ladies!)

Sorry for not posting for such a long time.  Work Work Work!  I stop by and look at all the new people posting and know that Olds, Chez, Kummock, Smokehouse Rob, Icerat, et all, are taking care of all the newbies most now the experienced pros!

I have moved into a new job doing E.C.T. in an outpatient Psych setting in Sacramento. Currently  working 10-12 hours a day doing Psychiatric Case Management of my 25 patients until we get our program up and running.  I am heading back to Duke University in North Carolina at the end of the month for a nursing fellowship in ECT (Electroconvulsive Therapy), and going to visit Fort Bragg on the weekend in Fayetteville.  Spent a little time during Vietnam at JFK Special Warfare School.  Going to check out "The School," and see if the Clock Tower is still standing in the downtown (might even hoist one at one of the bars we used to hang out in...just too old to remember the names).

Regards to all!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

PigOut

I grew up there and now I live in amish country. Not far from that school shooting last year.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!

iceman

Good to hear from you Bill. Glad things are OK. :)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: PigOut on March 10, 2007, 03:33:59 PM
I grew up there and now I live in amish country. Not far from that school shooting last year.

Hey PigOut

I still own a house in Lancaster county, Ephrata area. Live in Mahoning valley now west of Lehighton

nepas

PigOut

Hey Nepa ,

I live in oxford , right on the Md. border. When you get settled with the guru I might be interested in the PID. Let me know.

Skip

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!