• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Dressing for Kummoks salmon

Started by Dalby Spook, February 19, 2007, 09:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Thanks for the ideas guys. Hey Manx, are those cods roes your smoking?
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

manxman

QuoteHey Manx, are those cods roes your smoking?

No, unfortunately not DS, cod roe is as rare as hens teeth round here nowadays as are decent size cod as you will know, European Union and overfishing and all that!    >:(

Devereaus only got about 5lb of cod roe in total last year when it was in season (Easter time), what they did get came off the Irish trawlers.

This was whiting roe, they happened to have a couple of pounds of the stuff a few days ago and at £1.80 lb I thought I would give it a try.

I just covered the first 8oz or so in wholemeal flour and fried in olive oil gently and it was lovely. Figured it would be even nicer smoked!
From time to time I buy smoked cod roe from a smokehouse in Suffolk as I love it!! Hope the whiting roe comes a close second!  ;)

Nothing ventured nothing gained!!  ;) :D
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: manxman on February 22, 2007, 04:35:03 AM

......Also planning on smoking a couple of pounds of fish roes at the same time.  :)

Manxman;
I only had fish roe once, and that was shad, maybe it is better after being smoked. ;) But I also can't tolerate raw clams or oysters.

Iceman;
Glad you liked it. The sauce is simple with few ingredients, but it does work well on fish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

coolguy

Manxman is cod roe the same in all cod? I fish for cod there in california would it be the same? If it is i will have to give that a try. Never really noticed when cleaning the cod. If so could you give info on how to cook or smoke.
coolguy

Dalby Spook

Hi Coolguy

Prehaps I can answer that as Manx and I only live a few miles apart. I assume you are catching Pacific cod which I understand are a similar species to our Atlantic cod. So I guess the roes will be similar. Roes are very soft a rupture easily so need gentle handling.

I suggest wash them in cold water then immerse in a 70% brine for an hour. Then cold smoke until you loose 25% weight from fresh.
Never tried in a BS as they are rare as rocking horse **** over here.
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

manxman

Yes. I agree with what DS says regarding cod. The big problem apart from the rarity value of cod (on this side of the pond in any case) is getting hold of them when they are carrying the roes/eggs. Round these parts it is usually around Easter and then only for a short period of time.

I brined the whiting roe (small) for about 15 minutes in 80% brine (dissolved salt in water until an egg floats in it), the much bigger cod roe I would do for about an hour as DS said then wash thoroughly and leave to dry for a few hours.

I then hot smoked although cold smoking was an option, I was doing some salmon a la Kummock and pulled the whiting roe soon after the 140F period although the much larger cod roes I would probable leave for roughly the same period as the salmon in total including the 175F period.

Probably be able to apply this to other specie of fish, I love smoked fish roe and first indications are that the whiting roe has turned out very well indeed. Will get a better idea after it has sat in the fridge for a couple of days.  ;)

If you get the chance I would definately give it a try coolguy.

Manxman

LilSmoker

We had hot smoked salmon last night, so we decided to try the sauce,it's delicious! we love it!, it's a great compliment to the salmon, nice 1 Hab!  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

PigOut

Doin up some of that this wknd. Thanx Hab

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!

Habanero Smoker

I wish I could take the credit for the recipe, but I got that one from the CIA.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)