• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Dressing for Kummoks salmon

Started by Dalby Spook, February 19, 2007, 09:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Hi folks

has anyone a salad dressing recipe to go with Kummoks hot smoked salmon. Maybe with a little chilli kick in it ?
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

Habanero Smoker

I use to use a horseradish/apple sour cream dressing. I haven't used that recipe in a while, I'll try to dig it up. It's also good on smoked trout.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LilSmoker

Yeah great combination salmon and horseradish, i like the real hot stuff  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 19, 2007, 02:27:44 PM
I use to use a horseradish/apple sour cream dressing. I haven't used that recipe in a while, I'll try to dig it up. It's also good on smoked trout.
That one sounds tasty Hab. Hope you can find it.

Gizmo

LilSmoker, Have you ever tried Atomic Horseradish?  It lives up to its name.  Waitress told me when they open a new container of it at the restaurant, they get a newbie to take a whif.  Apparently good enough to cause hearing loss for a few minutes.  Definitely a good tasting addative.  Haven't tried the smell test. :o
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Quote from: Gizmo on February 19, 2007, 09:45:29 PM
LilSmoker, Have you ever tried Atomic Horseradish?  It lives up to its name.  Waitress told me when they open a new container of it at the restaurant, they get a newbie to take a whif.  Apparently good enough to cause hearing loss for a few minutes.  Definitely a good tasting addative.  Haven't tried the smell test. :o

Hi Gizmo, i haven't tried the Atomic, but there's a local farmers market i go to and they do this home made stuff, which is very powerfull to say the least! ;D, sometimes i have hot beef sandwiches with this stuff plastered all over it, i can't get enough of it!  ;D ;)

Gizmo

Not to sound like a "furbi" but Yummmm!
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

MRH

That stuff Habs mentioned sounds good for sure.  I have some horseradish growing at home, need to grind some someday here soon.

Mark

Habanero Smoker

I felt bad mentioning the sauce and not posting the recipe. I finally found it. It's from the Culinary Institute of America, so I hope they don't mind me sharing this.

Apple-Horseradish Cream Sauce (make about 1 cup)

1/4 C.   Heavy Cream
1/4 C.   Sour Cream
1/4 C.   grated Granny Smith apple (peeled before grating)
2 Tbs.   prepared horseradish
1/4 tsp. salt

Whisk the heavy cream until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold in sour cream, apple, horseradish and salt. Refrigerate for 20 minutes and serve, or store in the refrigerator for up to two days; during storage ingredients may separate, so remix before serving.

Some times I will add maple syrup. After mixing the ingredients, I will test taste, and usually will increase the horseradish, but always stare with 2 Tbs., and adjust from there. I've found not all horseradish are equal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

LilSmoker

Thanks Habs, sounds delicious, i have a good stock of smoked salmon, so i'll give it a go at the weekend. ;)

iceman

Habanero Smoker

I forgot to state when I use maple syrup (generally  1 Tbs.), I reduce the sour cream by the same amount.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Quotei have a good stock of smoked salmon,

I have 10 - 12 lbs Alaskan Wild Salmon which I am smoking tomorrow, currently brining in a dark rum and light demerera sugar based brine. This dressing looks like it will complement it VERY well.

Also planning on smoking a couple of pounds of fish roes at the same time.  :)

Not done any smoking for a while now, looking forward to getting back into the swing of things!  ;)
Manxman

MRH

Thanks Habs, will be trying some one of these days for sure!

Mark

iceman

OK Hab, now ya did it again!!! Had some apples left over from some galettes I just pulled out of the oven so I decided to whip up a batch of your dressing and us it on some blackened salmon fillets. Well I was told by the boss lady that horseradish was out of the question so I figured I had it all to myself. Halfway through dinner she braved to try some on her fish. I went to refill my beer mug and came back to an EMPTY serving bowl of what USED to contain your dressing.
Sure glad I got in one serving before it mysteriously dissappeared. :o ;D
Perfect match for salmon and I'm thinking it might pare well with a halibut burger.
Good stuff guys. Try it. ;)