• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Prime Rib?

Started by mavrickone, March 02, 2007, 01:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mavrickone

Hey Gang!
Have any of you smoked a prime rib roast? I didn't see anything on it and with what they cost I think I would like some expert advice before I jump into the deep end!

Thanks
Mav

icerat4

YES I HAVE AND IT CAME OUT GREAT. You can smoke it then finish on the grill or just all the way in the bs.I have rubbed mustard and then some dry rub. then Low n slow til you hit the internal temp you want for dunness.If you have a sams club near by or costco they have  great meat.Ill try to get a post i had and get it here soon with pics for ya its very nice .so check back here later.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

mavrickone

Thanks Icerat,
  I have Sams but no costco here in Oklahoma :( I look forward to your post!

Thanks
Mav

Gizmo

Olds tossed one in around Christmas.  I don't recall any instructions but to add on to Icerat, there are many ways of preparing the outside including keeping it simple (salt and pepper) and then smoking until an internal temperature of around 125 to 135 Deg F.  Pull, wrap in HD foil until the internal hits 140 Deg F or so depending on doneness desired.  Most of my chow hounds like it rare, tasty, tender.  2 to 3 hours of smoke would be plenty but would suggest not going over 4 hours.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

PR is great, this sounds odd but is what we have really become fond of... we do about a two hour smoke at low temp the day before and then bag it overnight. The rest time or whatever you want to call it seems to allow the smoke flavor to distribute real nice.

We do ours to a higher temp than most 150 to 160 degrees internal temp (which many feel is criminal - including myself for a long time). But have become accustomed and think it is great.

Oak has become a favorite. Good Luck, hope you enjoy your treat.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

icerat4

Southwestern Slow Cooked Prime Rib

Prime rib is one of the few meats cooked in a smoker that needs to be served as rare / medium/ or well done. Unlike a brisket which is cooked to an internal temperature of 190 degrees, today's entrée will be cooked to 125 degrees internal (within the USDA food safety guidelines) and given a southwestern spice rub and slather. Upon digging into this today, it was so tender you could cut the meat with a fork.

Here are the players

5 lb. Angus Beef Prime Rib
1 oz. Orange Pepper
1oz. Black Pepper
4 oz. Horseradish Mustard
1 oz. Chipotle Mix
3 oz. Turbinado Sugar

Mix all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and rub a small amount on to the prime rib.
After the meat is lightly covered, slather on the horseradish mustard until the meat is fully covered.

Once the meat is covered, apply the remaining dry rub on to the meat until it is uniformly covered.

Place in a preheated smoker @ 250 degrees and cook to an internal temperature of 125 degrees is reached.

After the meat has reached the desired cooking temperature, remove from smoker and let stand for 10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute themselves back into the meat.

Rare to medium will be pink inside with juices evident.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

MRH

Rat that sounds good, about how long did it take to cook??  I want to try a prime rib someday and just wondered.

Mark

Consiglieri

I did some research on this site when I did mine around Christmas time and asked a few questions at the time.  IR4's recipe sounds really good.  I must admit, I was reluctant to try the soup mix in the recipe I found here, but the results were very  good.  Here is the link to that thread:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4454.msg38840#msg38840

Good luck!
Consiglieri

mavrickone

Hi Guys,
  Thanks for the info,especialll you ICE! I am thinking of doing a whole rack so I know that from restaurants it seems like it goes from well to rare from end to center. I probably would like medium as the rarest(pink) Please excuse my ignorance, but the roast I am thinking about is about $80 so its pretty good size,I am not sure of the weight? Pretty gutsy for a newbie don't ya think  ;D

Thanks
Mav

Gizmo

Don't mean to short you on the guts, but,
Not in a BS. ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

Quote from: Gizmo on March 08, 2007, 08:44:19 PM
Don't mean to short you on the guts, but,
Not in a BS. ;)

I agree.  The BS does 90% of the work.  The rest is preparation and patience, especially the latter. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

mavrickone

OK ! I got a its OK on the BS and another NO on the BS  ??? ??? ??? So you guys tell me if cooking a prime rib roast on the bs is a good idea or not? I have had great results so far with the BS and as of now have done ,chicken breast,pork roast, pork tenderloin.baby backs and turkey breast. I don't have any problem trying something new ,but I just don't wan't to screw up too bad ;D ;D!!!!!!!!

Thanks Guys
Mav

coyote

Ahhhhhhh hell...That's the fun part mav1 :D...My dogs loved my less than perfect adventures ;D

Have some bigtime fun and let the smoke roll ,
                                                  Coyote 8)

mavrickone

I think your right Coyote, and Snoopy ( my cocker ) agrees so next week I think I will jump in the deep end,what the heck! I will let you guys know how it turns out, as for this weekend I am going to do some turkey breast which seem to work great. In the for what its worth department when I did the baby backs I put a bamboo schewer (sp) througth them and just let them stand and they turned out great! I am still a work in progress as far as the BS goes but am rapidally becomming a fan so I will probably start carrying the line, which will give me an excuse to try different things for taste test :D ;D :) That is my excuse and am sticking to it!

Mav

mavrickone

Don't know what I did wrong but in the FYI department my mutt is a cocker  ;D
Mav