Total Frustration

Started by Boybach, March 25, 2007, 05:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boybach

Hi folks
After having THREE replacement smoke generators from Grakka 'cos the advance mechanism didn't work -see my earlier posts I splashed out as advised on a complete OBS which arrived back-end of January. Felt a million dollars and couldn't wait to get into action. Regretably weather, business travel family committments and a dose of good old flu conspired against me getting smoking. Last week asked Manxman for some advice as to how to cook a top cut of beef in readiness for cooking this week-end. Well yesterday the big day arrived the long awaited smoking week-end arrived fish and meat cuts had been rubbed/brined and awaited their fate. But first follow instructions and season OBS. Guess what - my smoke cabinet does not have a heat control slider. There is just a slot with max-min temps marked and about 1 inch into the cavity there is a bit of metal which with a bit of wiggling and poking with a screwdriver I could move slightly - oh what frustration. Have sent a missive off to Grakka and will await their response on Monday, by then I hope I will have cooled down a bit. I am absolutely livid - and I am now at the end of my tether and wonder whether I should just give in and forget smoking altogether.
Has anyone else had the same problem or is mine unique.
It is now Sunday 24 hours later and I am still feeling pretty annoyed but having slept on it (good advice given to me by my late Dad) I still want to tell you all about it and ask you wiser folk than me what I should do.
thanks Boybach (Neil)  >:(

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

I have never had a problem.  From what I have read on this forum though, Bradley has a good reputation of taking care of BS owners.  I would give them a call or send them an e-mail.  I do not know who or what Grakka is. ???
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Boybach

Hi Wildcat
Grakka is the name of Bradley's representative Company here in the UK. They have been very good in immediately resolving my three broken smoke generators and I have no doubt they will be very professional in dealing with this newest problem. I just felt so exasperated that I needed to let off steam and see if any other members of the forum had had the same problem as mine

Wildcat

I think some members have had a problem or two, but as far as I know they were all resolved in short order.  Let us know how it turns out.  The BS is worth a little frustration.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Hi Boybach, first of all i'm sorry to hear of all the bad luck you've been having, i know it's difficult to be enthusiastic about something when you have these kind of problems :'(

Anyway, my advice to you is give it a last chance, i'm sure Grakka will do their upmost to get you sorted. Bradley customer service is second to none, and i've never heard a bad report regarding Grakka.

I'm also from the u.k., and i was a bit unlucky with my first Bradley, after driving quite a distance to buy one from a shop, i didn't bother checking everything until i returned home. When i arrived home i soon started unpacking everything, all looked ok until i opened the cabinet, and i was quite upset to see the inside was badly dented, and bashed around, even though all the original packing was in place.

Well after seeking some advice from the guys here, i phoned the shop and explained, well two days later i had a replacement Bradley, which was absolutely perfect. It's now seen a lot of action, and has been trouble free all the way through, and i love it to bits  ;D

I would say you've just had exeptionaly bad luck, please stick with it, once you're sorted you'll soon forget all the frustration i promise you.

Please post back here and let us know how it goes with Grakka, i'm sure they'll do their best for you ;)

Regards............LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Boybach

thanks lil'smoker, I only have high praise for Grakka they have been exemplary in their response and settlement of my previous problems and I have no doubt they will  be at pains to put this new problem to rights. My grumbling is purely self satisfaction in being able to vent my feelings - taking deep breaths is presently not easing the pain in having yet another planned and looked forward to week-end shot to bits particularly as tonight we have guests for dinner who were told to expect something out of the ordinary. The intention was to cook a prime piece of beef for the main course and your enthused hot smoked salmon as the starter. Instead my lovely wife who was expecting a leisurely week-end is now i/c cooking with me helping out rather unenthusiastically. I am in the ordinary a very happy chap without any major cares in the world but today I just feel depressed - a feeling not usually associated with my character - amazing that a dumb piece of equipment can cause such anxt. There now thats off my chest I'm already feeling better. Maybe a cocktail in a few hours will improve matters.

Boybach

Lilsmoker read cocktail for Otail in my last post

Boybach

LilSmoker definately Not my weekend - my Otail post means i am going to have a rum based punch

West Coast Kansan

>:( A mans smoker is a kind of personal thing.  When you look forward to a special time it is disappointing that it gets set back and I can understand your frustration.  :(

There have been reports of Out of Box issues with Bradley but not a huge number (always a disappointment however). What has always held true is that eventually all works out and you get a unit that will give you years of service.  Hang in thier.   ;)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

manxman

I too would be livid Boyback, to have one or two problems is perhaps just bad luck but to have four on the trot really does suggest Bradley's quality control leaves a lot to be desired! Again, I can perhaps understand if there is a hidden fault but to be missing the heater control slider is definately something that should have been picked up.

So no need to make excuses for being pi**ed off, I would be!  Yes, Grakka are very helpful and I am sure they will sort it out for you.... but it might be worth getting them to thoroughly check out any replacement before they send it to you!!  ;)

Good luck!
Manxman

LilSmoker

Quote from: Boybach on March 25, 2007, 07:31:33 AM
LilSmoker definately Not my weekend - my Otail post means i am going to have a rum based punch

Well i really think you deserve that rum punch, and i hope you still have a great evening despite the forced change of plan

Hope all goes well for you  ;)..............LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Gizmo

Not having a an OBS, I don't know the answer to this, but is it possible the slider just became dislodged from the front of the unit and could be "clicked" back into place if you can get to it?
Does Grakka still have your old units with the bad smoke gen?  Trade them the box out and use the new Gen. 

Hope everything works out for you.  The BS is a good unit.

Note To Bradley,
You need to improve your packaging.  Your units suffer greatly during shipping.  Your customer satisfaction is wanning on first purchases.  A few extra dollars of quality cardboard reinforced packaging material would do wonders.  Suggestion:  Buy a new Webber Ranch Grill.  With their standard well constructed cardboard packaging material, I think you could drop the box off a 20 foot roof and the unit would not suffer.  Your new customers would just appreciate an undamaged unit after shipping.   ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Kummok

I "feel your pain", Bach Jr...... I too, having three Bradleys, have to tweak and modify things on them from time to time. But have faith and perserverance.....just like a good 15 year old single malt, some things are just worth waiting for! ;)  Like my Bradley brothers and sisters are tellin' ya, you'll be glad you did when you pull your first succesful smoke out and share it!

coyote

Boybach , Welcome aboard ! :)..........Look at it this way. With a few set backs , just imagine how
sweet your first OBS victory is gonna be. ;D
                                                      Coyote

Arcs_n_Sparks

Boyback,

Welcome to the forum. Hope things work out and you did not delay much on c@cktail hour, as that can help smooth the waters (at least for a bit). Looking forward to your successes and posts.

Arcs_n_Sparks