• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rib Tutorial Needed...

Started by cingnut, April 24, 2007, 10:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cingnut

I am planning 3 racks this weekend and was wondering about cook times, cabinet temps and internal temps.

And on the subject of internal temps, where/how do you insert the probe?  I assume between the bones lengthwise (parallel to the bones)??  Also do you cook to the desired IT and pull, or do you cook to the desired IT and hold for a while??  I have always done my ribs on a gas grill and it was always a pretty unscientific method of look and feel.

I asked for tips, trick and general words of wisdom when I did my first butts and the info was fantastic, please feel free to share any info you may feel is helpful.

cingnut

OH!!  And while your at it, throw in some brisket tips too!  I have a nice one waiting in the wings as well.

icerat4

Hey  if ya have a sams club or a costco check out there baby back i do them all the time.this is for a total weight of ribs in the 14 pound range.Heres a lil tip .I do my ribs at 4-5 hour smoke at 190 -200 tops stay to the lower end of that.Apple juice spray after the first hour and then the last hour mop a very lil bbq sauce on then remove and put in foil with another spritz of juice.Then put in oven at 190 tops for another 3-4 hours.here is a sample

hope this helps always remove the membrane also as this will keep them tuff also good luck and happy smoking dont give up once you master the ribs. You will be DOING ribs often ask lil smoker.

SEE HOW CLEAN THE MEAT FALLS OFF THE BONE .Thats a clean bone that means very moist and fall off the bone type .The actual steaming while in the oven makes the magic happen you wound be dissapointed.Remember buy good meat always never skimp.Take care.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

icerat4

Here is my weeekend pulled pork deal 

2@7-8 lbs. Boston Butt – bone-in

1 Large Bottle Yellow Mustard

2 Bottles of Grill Mates Pork Rub

1 Bottle of Apple Juice and Spray Bottle

1 Box of Tin Foil

1 Box of Cling Wrap

Internal Temperature Gage

Thursday

1.                 Slather yellow mustard all over Pork Butt

2.                 Coat Butt with Pork rub

3.                 Wrap in Cling Wrap plastic

4.                 Put in fridge over night

Friday at around 4:00p.m.

1.     Remove butt from fridge and remove wrap; coat butt with more Pork Rub

2.     Let butt sit 1-2 hours at room temperature

3.     Start the smoker with 4-5 hours of whatever smoke you will use

4.     Place butt on middle shelf

5.     Make sure the slider is all the way to the right on high with top vent open all of the way.  Shut the door and wait until the butt has been smoked for 3 hours

6.     Open the door and check the water in the bowl; fill bowl with water if needed.

7.     When the butt has been smoked for 3 hours, spray apple juice all over the butt. 

8.     when smoke is done at the 4-5 hour mark, put new water in the bowl and then spray the apple juice on the butt again.

9.     Shut door and GO TO BED!!

10. At around 7-8 a.m., check the temperature.  If it is not 195 degrees, do not remove.  Spray some more apple juice on the butt and wait until it reaches 195 degrees

11. When the temp reaches 195 degrees, remove the butt from the smoker and spray again with apple juice.  Then wrap it in foil and place a dishtowel or regular towel around it and place in a cooler or microwave.

12. Wait at least two hours to take the butt out of the foil and remove the fat.

13. READY TO EAT!!   Hope this helps out its a sure deal ive done about 50 or so this way and no problem a sure bet.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

cingnut

Quote from: icerat4 on April 24, 2007, 10:40:51 AM
Here is my weeekend pulled pork deal 

Funny, I actually printed this very posting when I did my first butts as a walkthrugh so I didnt forget anything.

IKnowWood

cignut  look over Iceman's post on ribs: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5010.0

I use this all the time and my ribs are excellent.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes